Clueless.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Now I'm all for encouraging cycling, but sometimes, you really do wonder about the lack of common sense of some people. Today coming out of Sheffield on the A57 ( always a very very busy road for trucks ) towards the M1, three people on catalogue specials with helmets balanced nicely on the back on their heads, were wobbling round the roundabout, while the others waited on the exit of the roundabout for them to catch up. With 38 tonners just missing them. Also awhile ago there was a group of about 15 stopped on the road while cycling down the A38 by Burton on Trent. A 70mph dual carriage way. Ffs it's no wonder some vehicle drivers have such a bad opinion of people on bicycles. I should add that on both occasions, the riders were of an age where they didn't have to worry about the 9 to 5 anymore.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
:popcorn:

gaijintendo

Veteran
Now I'm all for encouraging cycling, but sometimes, you really do wonder about the lack of common sense of some people. Today coming out of Sheffield on the A57 ( always a very very busy road for trucks ) towards the M1, three people on catalogue specials with helmets balanced nicely on the back on their heads, were wobbling round the roundabout, while the others waited on the exit of the roundabout for them to catch up. With 38 tonners just missing them. Also awhile ago there was a group of about 15 stopped on the road while cycling down the A38 by Burton on Trent. A 70mph dual carriage way. Ffs it's no wonder some vehicle drivers have such a bad opinion of people on bicycles. I should add that on both occasions, the riders were of an age where they didn't have to worry about the 9 to 5 anymore.
I blame Google maps. It might be legal, but there are safer ways to plan a tour... I assume. I never log these things, and I am generally slipstreaming my map loving friends.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
You were a bit snobby about their bikes and their skills though, why was that? Anyway, I expect they are all dead now as a result of their cluelessness, so motorists can stop worrying about them.

I apologise for the unintended snobbishness, I was trying to paint a picture of the scene of what appeared to be a very novice group, as I said I always encourage cycling, but to venture out onto a road like that or the A38 is incredibly dangerous and to imply that they are probably dead by now is that precise thing the post would be trying to avoid.
Yes there is an attitude among some motorists and truckers, that we are just a pest on the road and should be treated as such and that situation today just compounds that opinion.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Roads are not dangerous, some drivers\cyclists certainly are.

I totally agree, but roads with that volume of heavy traffic, surely are not the best place to venture onto on a bicycle.

classic33

Leg End Member
A fair bit of my cycling is done on "A" roads, always has been. A well used route takes in Chain Bar roundabout, which means a five way crossroads(Two "A" roads & a minor road) are used.

I'll use them, some may not, put off by the HGV's using them possibly.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Yes. Clueless lorry drivers passing cyclists without giving them enough space.

Glad you brought this to our attention. Have you contacted the haulage companies to let them know, and educate their drivers?

A completely separate argument, there are a lot safer places to stop than on an exit from a tight roundabout. Do you drive an HGV or is your comment based on an ignorance of driving of large vehicles.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
They've all survived to retirement age so they can't be all that reckless. Next time I've an afternoon free I might go and ride the A57, just out of sheer bloody mindedness.
Then I hope that when you do, you are followed and overtaken by drivers that understand that you are a very vunerable road user and give you the space and time you need. Because there a many out there that won't.

Top Bottom