Clueless.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I totally agree, but if as a vulnerable cyclist, if we put ourselves into situations of that amount of increased danger we could be accused of being at the least irresponsible.

When you describe a situation where bad driving puts soft road users in peril, the answer is not to remove the potential victims.

Ffs it's no wonder some vehicle drivers have such a bad opinion of people on bicycles.

It's faulty reasoning to regard those cyclists being close-passed by HGVs as responsible for the misguided opinions of other drivers.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Gosh there is a lot of fol
So why not address the danger?
I wish we could. But unfortunately, I find that the driving in this country is getting more and more aggressive and when the sentences handed down to motorists by the courts who have killed a cyclist are so paltry, compared to other forms of killing, we have an uphill struggle.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
When you describe a situation where bad driving puts soft road users in peril, the answer is not to remove the potential victims.

The close passing was caused by the place they had decided to wait for the others. They obviously could not see the danger their actions had placed themselves into.

It's faulty reasoning to regard those cyclists being close-passed by HGVs as responsible for the misguided opinions of other drivers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you suggesting that we collectively retreat from dangerous roads? Have you thought about where that ends?
It ain't no upwardly mobile highway... ;)

If people were cycling there, they probably don't know a better alternative. Maybe the alternative cycle route is lumpy substandard shoot that leaves cyclists at risk of wearing their saddles internally, or maybe it's simply not clearly signed. There aren't nearly as many masochists cycling as some suggest.

The OP seems local but doesn't seem to suggest where they should have been - just not on that road because that's for motorists only even though it's not.

And I've ridden on the A38. There's not a viable alternative to the bits I've ridden - as far as I know.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
There has been no mention of any bad driving, just the situation they had put themselves into.

There does seem to be a fair bit of we are the victims here, but this situation was completely self inflicted. Yes we do suffer from ignorant driving, but sometimes we are responsible for putting ourselves at risk too. Or are we all so perfect we never do anything wrong ?

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I don't know that road personally, would it be closed to all traffic then? Is it possible to close a public road to just cyclists? Isn't it more likely that a sign would go up advising 'Unfit for cycling'? Not that I've ever seen one, but there are similar addressed to HGVs.
This I think is a good idea. :-) an advisory sign would be good advise. If someone wants to ride and be a hero then fine.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I find that the driving in this country is getting more and more aggressive and when the sentences handed down to motorists by the courts who have killed a cyclist are so paltry, compared to other forms of killing, we have an uphill struggle

I do understand why you're concerned but the views you've been expressing in this thread are adding to the struggle.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
You haven't addressed the basic issue here. We have a network of roads we are all legally entitled to use. Why should cyclists have their share of that network restricted?
Yes we are legally entitled to ride roads apart from the motorways, but we are not allowed to ride on motorways, for a reason and surely those reasons could be applied, to such A roads / dual carriageways with the same motorways speed limits, because they are just too busy, fast and dangerous, to ride our bicycles on.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't know that road personally, would it be closed to all traffic then? Is it possible to close a public road to just cyclists? Isn't it more likely that a sign would go up advising 'Unfit for cycling'? Not that I've ever seen one, but there are similar addressed to HGVs.
It's the road that had the piano towed up it in 2015. Think of ColinJ's Twenty minute challenge.

The two "A" roads would mean no viable road link between West Yorkshire an Lancashire. Without a long diversion.

Seen unsafe for HGV's & unsuitable for HGV's signs. A few round here.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes we are legally entitled to ride roads apart from the motorways, but we are not allowed to ride on motorways, for a reason and surely those reasons could be applied, to such A roads / dual carriageways with the same motorways speed limits, because they are just too busy, fast and dangerous, to ride our bicycles on.
I asked http://cycle.travel/map for a route from Sheffield to the pub at Todwick and it sent me across the A57/M1 junction so I suspect there's no better alternative. What do you think it should have done?

Is there any evidence to show these roads are actually more dangerous? I'd be interested to know because I would imagine junctions are more dangerous.

However the op was about roundabouts if I remember anyway.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I do understand why you're concerned but the views you've been expressing in this thread are adding to the struggle.

All I'm trying to say is that venturing out onto some of the busiest, fast A roads is just suicidal. Yes we can ride them if we want, but why would you want to risk your life and not enjoy the ride.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have

All I'm trying to say is that venturing out onto some of the busiest, fast A roads is just suicidal. Yes we can ride them if we want, but why would you want to risk your life and not enjoy the ride.

Out of interest, where are the largest number of cyclist killed or maimed, clue it is not On A roads I exoect.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Is there any evidence to show these roads are actually more dangerous? I'd be interested to know because I would imagine junctions are more dangerous.

However the op was about roundabouts if I remember anyway.

I would think that the sheer volume of heavy traffic would keep the majority of cyclists away, therefore incident figures would probably be lower and yes junctions in my experience are scarey.

Top Bottom