CNC Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Yeah, but I think you'd find that most forged goods are finished by machining.
What, so CNC machining isn't being cheapskate now then? Its the done thing?

What, so CNC machining isn't being cheapskate now then? Its the done thing?
I'm not quite sure what your question is but I'll explain my stance on "cheapskate".

Hubs can be forged or CNC'd and most people won't know the difference and I suppose it doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. However, forging is better because it makes the hub shell strong. Why stronger? I hear you ask. Shurely strong enough is strong enough. Well, if it is stronger, you have less warrantee problems and, you can create better wheels using higher spoke tension. But most of all, you can make the hub lighter and beautifuller, with elegant thin flanges and wonderful smooth curves.

CNC hubs are more expensive to make per item but cheaper to tool up the factory. Therefore, under certain volume they go for CNC and over the economic threshold, forging.

Horses for courses.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Horses for courses.
Yes, that's the point I was driving at really, It's got less to do with being cheapskate, and more to do with what's suitable. Also there's the fact that many forged hubs are these days CNC finished, so you can't really lump CNC and cheapskate manufacture in together. I think your first post might have been taken to mean this, to those that aren't familiar with manufacture.

Top Bottom