CO2 inflator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garethgas

i only carry cartridges. If i run out, i call the mother ship.

if you do have to use them, when you get home you need to let the co2 out and put normal air back in. Co2 is thinner than air and will seep out over 48 hours. I thought i had another flat the next day. Changed the tube, then someone told me! LOL

Indeed.
This is not a ,myth, a tyre really does lose co2 in a day or so therefore when you get home, 'purge' it of co2 and refill with
good old fashioned air.

The issue is that you need to settle on a system and keep to it.

The Cartridge sizes differ as do the fittings.

Some are screw fit with a narrow neck, others are screw fit with a wide neck, then there are the narrow and wide unthreaded ones

It can be worthwhile working backwards and sourcing cheap cartridges then finding a valve that fits

young Ed

Veteran
You quote my post about carrying 2 pumps and then say such and such a pump is supposed to be good without how it references what i said .
ah yes sorry
you had brought up the point a carrying a pump and recommended a good pump so i was simply adding to that by mentioning another good pump
hope this clears things up
Cheers Ed

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
i only carry cartridges. If i run out, i call the mother ship.

if you do have to use them, when you get home you need to let the co2 out and put normal air back in. Co2 is thinner than air and will seep out over 48 hours. I thought i had another flat the next day. Changed the tube, then someone told me! LOL

Indeed.
This is not a ,myth, a tyre really does lose co2 in a day or so therefore when you get home, 'purge' it of co2 and refill with
good old fashioned air.

The trainer didn't tell us that, so thanks guys ^_^

OP
OP
Dave Carey

Dave Carey

Bit pricy.

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6846&category=4 includes 2 x 12g Co2 as well.

EDIT: Also same site is good for buying the cartridges cheap.

Thanks for that just put an order in.

I was at a maintenance session on Saturday and the leader said to always put a bit of air in with a pump before using a CO2 canister in case the tube is pinched as it will go with a massive bang if it is.

Answered my question before I had a chance to answer it, very efficient :thumbsup:. I was still planning to carry my mini pump just in case. The SOS phone call will only be made as an absolute last resort.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Indeed.
good old fashioned air.

Makes no difference to me, I run latex tubes so I need to inflate tyres on a regular basis

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was at a maintenance session on Saturday and the leader said to always put a bit of air in with a pump before using a CO2 canister in case the tube is pinched as it will go with a massive bang if it is.

They will go with a big bang if you dont do that with a pump, especially a track pump.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very nearly bought a co2 pump today after the pot hole blow out. Knew I'd need to make a better tyre boot for a couple of days till the new tyre arrived as I needed to let the tyre down again when in work. All that pumping, but I though sod it. The pump is not hard work to get to 100 PSI, it just takes a while (like about 3 minutes), and the thing works every time, hence why I have 3 of them. Blackburn airsticks, 2 multi fit and one fancy carbon wrap (free cycling mag gift).

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Latex tubes are light and feature lower rolling resistance and less mass on the outer diameter of the wheel -- meaning quicker accelerations and easier maintenance of speed.
An added benefit over standard butyl rubber tubes is a greater elasticity that enables them to be more puncture resistant. The only downside is that latex tubes are more porous than their black butyl counterparts. You'll need to air them up before every ride and if they sit a week or more, they'll appear totally flat. But all cyclists check their pressures before each ride anyway, right? I most certainly do.

young Ed

Veteran
Latex tubes are light and feature lower rolling resistance and less mass on the outer diameter of the wheel -- meaning quicker accelerations and easier maintenance of speed.
An added benefit over standard butyl rubber tubes is a greater elasticity that enables them to be more puncture resistant. The only downside is that latex tubes are more porous than their black butyl counterparts. You'll need to air them up before every ride and if they sit a week or more, they'll appear totally flat. But all cyclists check their pressures before each ride anyway, right? I most certainly do.
oh yes, yes of course i check the pressures! well i at lest give the tyres a squeeze :whistle:
so really latex tubes are only worth it if racing or TT'ing
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom