Coast 2 Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hurrah...booked on the trains for the BH weekend - although we can't book the bikes on the trains so we may well yet be thrown off!!

Has anyone done C2C? We're going Sunderland to Whitehaven due to the one train we could book the bikes onto being fully booked!!

Any advice for overnight stays etc??

U

User482

I did it a few years back, great fun despite awful weather. I highly recommend Bee farm - http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/beecottage.html

Yarp. I did whitehaven to tynemouth last year in 3 days. It was absolutely fab and my first solo tour. There's an amazing and informative website here where i got all my accommodation from. But most places do get booked quite far in advance.

I stayed at the Allenheads Inn (in allenheads, surprisingly), and it was more than a little bizarre, but safe...and also at a B&B in greystoke. In the pub I met someone who knew my mother in law. You can't be too careful!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I did the C2C a few weeks back, but went West to East. No problem on the trains from Leeds, i was the only bike on both the trains. Coming back i was the first one on at Newcastle (TPE service) but by the time we got to York there were 4 bikes on & the guard was fine, just had to remove panniers to get all 4 safely stowed. On the train from York to Hull there were 3 bikes, but only room for 2, so i removed front wheel & it then fit in the area for wheelchair passengers :evil:
Most guards are ok with more than 2 bikes on the train, but some can be a bit arsey. good luck with the ride.

I stayed at the Victoria Inn at Alston, which was ok. Nice friendly owner & good breakfast. Lovely evening meal at Cumberland Inn (i think it was) at the bottom of the village.

There's a website with loads of accom listed for the route & a specific forum for the route too http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/index.htm

Danny

Legendary Member
I had to get to Whitehaven last year by train and had similar problems booking bikes in advance.

However the guards on the Transpennine and Northern trains are pretty accommodating about bikes so I suspect you would have no problems getting there by train if that's where you prefer to start from. You just need to avoid travelling at peak times.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The benefit of doing the ride east to west is that you get the dull bits over with first. Beware of poor route marking in Sunderland. It is a nice ride but I can not recommend any B&B or hotel accomodation as I've always used camp sites or wild camped on the route when I've done it. Youl have a long climb up to Hartside but a very enjoyable descent after visiting the cafe at the top.

Have you checked the C2C web sites for recommendations/adverts for accommodation?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I agree, Vernon - I'm kind of glad we'll finish with the Lakes instead of the Newcastle sprawl. My only sadness is that we'll be doing Hartside from east to west - I did it that way last year and was looking forward to the other side. Still...good cup of tea at the top.

Thanks everyone for the hints!

paul

C2C

Did the C2c last September over two days, west to east. stayed at
Waverley Hotel Whitehaven 1st Night. did early breakfast for a 6am start.
Alston Training Centre Alston.2nd night, basic but good food after all day out.
Park Hotel Tynemouth 3rd night, excellent accomodation and food.

C2C website is excellent and has good useful links. Used Stanley taxis for luggage transfer (see C2C website) luggage collected and delivered to rooms in each hotel without any problem. Did whole route off road in just under 21 hrs.

Have a great time

johnonthetyne

hi cathryn, have you checked out the c2c forum site?maybe some useful info there for you.
http://c2c.freeforums.org/

Cathryn said:
I agree, Vernon - I'm kind of glad we'll finish with the Lakes instead of the Newcastle sprawl. My only sadness is that we'll be doing Hartside from east to west - I did it that way last year and was looking forward to the other side. Still...good cup of tea at the top.

Thanks everyone for the hints!

You could do it twice!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm really excited about this now - we drove past Whitehaven at the weekend and I got all excited about cycling there!! Our hotels/B&Bs are booked (Newcastle, Nenthead, Keswick) and the trains are sorted...all we need now is sunshine!

AndrewClark

Veteran
My first solo tour was the C2C from Whitehaven to Tynemouth and then the Reivers Route from Tynemouth back to Whitehaven.

Both good routes but I thought the Reivers was prettier. I camped near Keswick and I think in Allanheads. Used the Bike Bothy in Tynemouth (now closed I think) and Bellingham & Carlisle Youth Hostels.

Lovely country, I must go back sometime.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I don't want to put you off, Cathryn but I have to say I've done four C-2-Cs and I found the official one to be easily the worst and most depressing. The route in parts is good but often it is dull and uninspiring. I found several sections to be almost unrideable by road bike and I stopped in Alston and have vowed never again to go near the place. I half expected the soundtrack to Duelling Banjos.

What I've done previously is to make up my own route. I've done Morecambe to Saltburn-by-the Sea staying in the fabulous town (village?) of Leyburn and this year I did Morecambe to Scarborough staying in Masham. The two routes above have the advantage of less climbing and more rideable road miles but the disadvantage of fewer other cyclists.

Top Bottom