Coast 2 Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I agree that Alston's a bit of a dive, which is a shame because it's so pretty!! It's kind of one of those things we need to do, a tick in the box, so to speak!! We'll see...I'm one of those enthusiastic people who tend to enjoy most things (unless it rains)

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Done it twice- the 'correct way'-west to east;)

We stayed at Newhouses in Allenheads both times- great place which feels like 1/2 way up a fell- take a torch to find it after the pub session!
Brathen in greystoke the first time and Edendale B& B in Kirkswold the second time

Do not be tempted by the off road bits across rookhope moor or the old keswick road, all the rain we have had will make them very difficult on a loaded bike, believe me I know:eek:

HelenD123

Guru
I encountered the rudest ever tea shop owner/waiter in Alston. He got my order wrong and when I pointed it out gave the most enormous huff!

Caro

PaulB don't keep us in suspense. Please can you post your route and us newbies can have an alternative c2c.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Caro said:
PaulB don't keep us in suspense. Please can you post your route and us newbies can have an alternative c2c.

Erm....I wouldn't know how to! I'm no Colin J in that regard. I did mark this year's out on an Anquet computer map but that was on a different compterputer thingy to this one and to my shame, I don't know how to get it on this one!

I'll do my best to describe it old school.

Start in Morecambe. Go along that old converted railway track and through Lancaster then up to Halton, Aughton, Gressingham, Tatham, Wray, Wennington, Low Bentham, Ingleton then the B6255 through Ribblehead and down towards Hawes taking a left shirtly before there to Hardraw and through Sedbusk to Askrigg, Newbiggin, Woodhall, Carperby, Castle Bolton, Preston-under-Scar into Leyburn where I've over-nighted previously but this year pushed on (mainly downhill) to Masham. Don't enjoy too many of Masham's beery charms. Then quiet roads to Sutton Howgrave, cross the A1 south of Sinderby, Ainderby Quernhow, Catton, Topcliffe (very stony farm-roads round here), Asenby, Dalton, Hutton Sessay, Carlton Husthwaite, Coxwold, Wass, Ampleforth, Oswaldkirk, Nunnington, East Ness, Slingsby, Barton-le-Street, Appleton-le-Street, the busy market town of Malton, Norton on Derwent, Settrington, West Lutton (beware the Dobermann!), Weaverthorpe, Foxholes, Wold Newton, Hummanby and there's a quiet little road leading to a caravan site and beach on the north sea. Alternatively you can go up through Muston and into Filey Minogue.

Day one was stiff long climbs and superb descents whereas the first part of day two was undulating until past Ampleforth where it starts to flatten out but you'll need flat by then.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I did the C2C last year from Whitehaven to Tynmouth. I loved it. I stayed at the Allenheads Hotel on the second night. It is a welcoming place and the food is really good. The first night I stayed in Greystoke which is 46 miles from Whitehaven, at a guesthouse called Brathen. They are well used to cyclists staying there and are very accomodating, and once again the breakfast is excellent. The local pub is very close by for evening meals.

Top Bottom