Coast and Castles - Newcastle to Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just found this thread via the reference on the NTR thread. If you were carrying on westward on NCN1 this afternoon your may have passed me going the other way.

We might well have done then, two couples, three on gravel bikes and Nick on his hard tail MTB. Liz and I were sporting Yorkshire cycling tops.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Day 3 began with a cheeky climb up thru and out of Berwick to the north, over the Border and then back into England via the newly refurbished Union Chain Bridge before going back into bonnie Scotland at Norham where we had a morning coffee.
Another beautiful sunny day, a change of scenery having left the coast. The top end of the Northumberland hills were often in view in the distance and as the day went on as we wound through a collection of quiet back road, the Eildon Hills popped into view, which then proved to be our destination for the evening at Melrose.

We lunched in the pretty market Square at Kelso.
The last 5 of 45 miles were quite up and down as we climbed up and then down past Drybrough Abbey, over a little suspension bridge over the Tweed and then skirted the sides of one of the trio of the Eildon Hills before a rapid rundown into Melrose and a well earned ice-cream.

Mr Celine

Discordian
We might well have done then, two couples, three on gravel bikes and Nick on his hard tail MTB. Liz and I were sporting Yorkshire cycling tops.

I passed three couples, all between Dryburgh and Clintmains. I presume this is you, green bike like the one in your photo at Waren Mill and the rider in front was wearing a matching top.

GOPR4834-0001.jpg

I was wearing a black and red Tempest Brewery top.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Day 4
Another clear bright blue sky day, with hardly a breath of wind, started with an easy roll out up the Tweed valley, barely losing sight of the river and hence relatively flat. We skipped the off road section, taking a short piece of a quiet A7?? and then one smallish up and down into Walkerburn for coffee.
A pleasant tarmac path by the Tweed took us to Innerleithen, where we stocked up my bags with pies, saus rolls, sweet treats, and drinks (the girls said this was a handicap system) and then headed off up the 10 mile climb over the Moorfoot hills.
This was a pretty gentle ascent rising from 500ft to about 1150 at 6 miles before a dip back to 1000 and a final summit of 1350ft ish, where we are lunch with a stunning view over Edinburgh etc.
The climb was pretty much a middle of the cassette climb, winding up through the valleys and even the summit you wind through little mini valleys, with the odd farm / out building in them, very picturesque indeed.

Off for beer & curry to be continued.....

Post lunch was fast descent to Dalkieth before a wind through what must have been suburban Edinburgh, but appeared very green and un-urban on a network of cycle paths leading to the innocent Railway and final tunnel that chucked us out into the meadows for a final ice cream, a retrieval of baggage and a short shelp to our air B&B.

Mechanicals - zero, unless you count putting the chain back on some random 3rd parties bike, who'd shipped it at the foot of a climb somewhere (near Blyth iirc) and was ringing her OH to come back and put it on
Punctures - zero

Top trip

Attachments

• PXL_20230530_104215695.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230530_104215695.MP.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230530_113950416.jpg
    PXL_20230530_113950416.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230530_151823622.jpg
    PXL_20230530_151823622.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 4