Coast and Castles - Newcastle to Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
Considering doing this as a long weekend in the summer once we're allowed out. Has anyone done it? feedback appreciated. Seems like a nice ride, good scenery not too hilly and approx. 50 miles a day done over 4 riding days.

Not done it, but from that part of the world, and when the weather's decent, it's a great countryside/scenery with plenty to do/see.

When it's not ....

jpj84

Veteran
Did it early September a couple of years ago, on 2.5 days. It's a bit frustrating on the first day, crossing dual carriageways to get out of Newcastle. But after that, it's great. We took the inland, rather than coastal, route after crossing the border.
Highly recommended 👍

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
t's a bit frustrating on the first day, crossing dual carriageways to get out of Newcastle.

Hadrian's Cycleway (NCN72) is a very agreeable way to escape from Newcastle to the east.

It roughly follows the north side of the Tyne from the Quayside, and has no significant road crossings.

Quite interesting to see the post-industrial landscape of places such as Wallsend.

It then takes you to the redeveloped Royal Quays, and the still operating Fish Quay.

After that, it's a short coastal path hop to Tynemouth, bringing you out right beside the Priory, which is on the Coast and Castles route.

Another option is to start the ride at Tynemouth.

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/3647714/Sustrans-Hadrians-Cycleway

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Guru
Cheers, sounds like a good plan and pray for decent weather, A hooley blowing in off the North sea might dampen spirits somewhat.

Yes intend to follow NCN72 (end of the C2C) to Tynemouth and then its NCN1 up the coast to Berwick and then inland along the Tweed/Borders and then over the hump to Edinburgh.

The girls would object to a 2.5 day route!

jpj84

Veteran
To be clear, i don't recall thinking the road crossings were dangerous - it just seemed a fairly unglamorous hour or two of riding/dismounting/negotiating gates through none-too-pretty bits of the edge of Newcastle - though a necessary evil.

Cheers, sounds like a good plan and pray for decent weather, A hooley blowing in off the North sea might dampen spirits somewhat.

Yes intend to follow NCN72 (end of the C2C) to Tynemouth and then its NCN1 up the coast to Berwick and then inland along the Tweed/Borders and then over the hump to Edinburgh.

The girls would object to a 2.5 day route!

Maybe plan a few things to do, like the farnes boat trip (fish&chips at seahouses), pedal across to holy island (depending on tides) etc.

But it's been a few years since I've been that way so it may have changed.
But if it wet you can bypass the grass fields at Middle Shiel on a farm track between Beal Station and Goswick.
It was only a rough macadam track but it's better than riding along a mud track across a field.
Turn left just before the level crossing, then 1 mile further on there is another level crossing leading to the track to Goswick.

Luck .......... :laugh:

Lookrider

Considering doing this as a long weekend in the summer once we're allowed out. Has anyone done it? feedback appreciated. Seems like a nice ride, good scenery not too hilly and approx. 50 miles a day done over 4 riding days.
Where are you planning your stay overs ( restrictions removed hopefully)

doughnut

Veteran
We did this (starting from Durham) back in 2017. First tour for myself and my wife so we took it easy and organised our days around B+B locations. Quiet roads and great views. We had a couple of days where the rain was pretty torrential but overall it was excellent. There are some short parts where you are cycling on grass, but I would say the majority is either on cycle path or quiet roads.
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Just remembered this photo from one of the 'wet' days
Around Lindisfarne somewhere I think

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I think lots of people choose to do it in the opposite direction - often slightly easier in terms of a head wind.

Farnes trip as suggested above is fantastic - National Trust islands so take your membership cards if you have them.

We did this (starting from Durham) back in 2017. First tour for myself and my wife so we took it easy and organised our days around B+B locations. Quiet roads and great views. We had a couple of days where the rain was pretty torrential but overall it was excellent. There are some short parts where you are cycling on grass, but I would say the majority is either on cycle path or quiet roads.
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Just remembered this photo from one of the 'wet' days
Around Lindisfarne somewhere I think

Looks like you had one of the better days around Lindisfarne?

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Guru
But it's been a few years since I've been that way so it may have changed.
But if it wet you can bypass the grass fields at Middle Shiel on a farm track between Beal Station and Goswick.
It was only a rough macadam track but it's better than riding along a mud track across a field.
Turn left just before the level crossing, then 1 mile further on there is another level crossing leading to the track to Goswick.

Luck .......... :laugh:

cheers, that loks like a good nugget of local knowledge. Will be on CX / gravel bikes so wet mud not ideal.
Where are you planning your stay overs ( restrictions removed hopefully)
Amble/Alnmouth
Berwick
Galashiels

I've also had the map out scouting potential snack and lunch stops, which are most important!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have not done the whole route, but, we have done the section of the coastal route between Berwick and Holy Island. There is video of our journey here. It is full length, one direction, (opposite direction to your plan). It wasn't the best weather, and, we got a puncture, but, we (two 70+ year olds) managed it no problem. Not sure the type of bike you are planning to use, but, I would not think it is suitable for a road bike.

As @Pale Rider has said, the Hadrians Way Cycle route into Newcastle from the west is good. There is also a route on the south side of the Tyne (Keelmans Way), which links to the North side, via a cycle/pedestrian tunnel under the Tyne at Jarrow. A word of warning if you do choose to take that route, the lifts are notoriously unreliable, and, carrying your bike up the stairs is not for the fainthearted, so, I would check their website before deciding north or south of river! There is video of the Eastern end of Hadrians Way, and Keelmans Way here, again, it is quite lengthy, but, you can fast forward. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom