1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coast & Castles July 2016

Discussion in 'Member's Travelogues' started by Igor73, 9 Jul 2016.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

We were doing a 100 mile Berwick to Newcastle when I did it.

The others managed to ride the fields, I pushed for stretches.

OK to a point, but with a hundred miles to do, it got us off to a slow start.

I looked at the map later, and there's no obvious road alternative.

Apart from a short stretch of the A1, which is single carriageway at that point and always busy, so would be a bit dodgy on a bike.

mudrock likes this.
  2. mudrock

mudrock Veteran

Just seen the weather forecast for next week, raining every day,so looks like I will be pushing the bike too, better save some energy, as I am starting in Newcastle, first stop Bewick upon Tweed.

Btw Thanks for tip.

3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

It's been generally dry up here and the trails have dried out nicely, so you might be OK.

You should be able to follow the route, the signposting is quite good.

Worth bearing in mind the path runs beside the hedges of the fields, so while the signpost might look as if it isn't pointing to anything, that is the 'path'.

I will be interested to hear how you get on.

Bits of it may - or may not - have been improved since I was there best part of two years ago.

mudrock and NorthernDave like this.
  4. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

it looks like it will be NNW winds so if the forecasts are showing rain they will be wrong, it might be cold out of the sun but it will be broken cloud and plenty sun - it is SE winds that bring miserable weather in North Northumberland.

That whole section from Berwick down to Belford is just a muddle of fields, Dirt Tracks and minor roads that often feel directionless, It is poor cycling.

I often head south from Berwick and by far the best experience is;
    Follow old A1 to Scremiston.
    Then quarter mile on a path alongside the A1 to the Ancroft turn off.
    Follow the B road through Ancroft then left on to the minor roads.
    Through Lowick Mill, keeping west of the Kyloe Hills, through Holburn then up past Bowden Doors before dropping down into Belford

Apart from the path alongside the A1 the rest of it is good roads and mostly very quiet, you may not even see a vehicle on the minor roads past Holburn. Far far better than the daft sustrans route.

Pale Rider, NorthernDave and mudrock like this.
  5. EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

What are people's tyre recommendations for this route? Currently considering the traditional route and the newer coastal route - maybe even going up one way and back the other.

My current options are 25mm Duranos, 28mm 4Seasons or 35mm Rapid Robs.

I'm wondering if the latter might be overkill and too sluggish on the tarmac sections, but the 2 road tyres not up to the gravel/grass bits.

Maybe something like this would be a happy medium?

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article...MI0pOa57PE1wIV5jLTCh2QCwNSEAQYAiABEgJuz_D_BwE