Coast to Coast - a more southerly option

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Veteran
Afternoon. Cycled througj Lowestoft today and went across some ceremonial compass paving which marks the point which is furthest to the east in Britain. It got me thinking, I know the traditional coast to coast route is up north somewhere, but is there a well recognized/well travelled route from lowestoft to the point further west in Wales? Anyone done it or something similar?

...Ish

I have cycle lots, but often completed routes by default

I have cycled from Lowestoft vis Colchester, to Southend on Sea, then the Thames into London

Then took the Thames and Kennet and Avon to Bath and Bristol

From Here I have then cycled to both Land's End and St Davids

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
...Ish

I have cycle lots, but often completed routes by default

I have cycled from Lowestoft vis Colchester, to Southend on Sea, then the Thames into London

Then took the Thames and Kennet and Avon to Bath and Bristol

From Here I have then cycled to both Land's End and St Davids
Wow! Sounds a little more convoluted than I was aiming for, but how long did the St Davids option take?

Wow! Sounds a little more convoluted than I was aiming for, but how long did the St Davids option take?
2 and a half years!

Mare seriously

The trip from London to Bristol (Gloucester in fact) was a week of touring with my wife

The trip form Bristol to St David's was about two years later and again a week as I have a habit of detouring for churches, historical sites etc

I was also delayed for an entire morning watching the TV programme "Merlin" being filmed in the Margam country park

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
That is a bit more than I was thinking to the unspellable scottish place.....and I quite like the linearity of going relatively straight across the land.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
FWIW, the most westerly point on the British mainland is Ardnamurchan point in Scotland.

A beautiful place!

Last there in 2003 when I took this somewhat murky pic' - was very cold, quiet and so atmospheric.

AMPoint.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That is a bit more than I was thinking to the unspellable scottish place.....and I quite like the linearity of going relatively straight across the land.
Lowestoft to St David's would pretty much fit the bill then.

G3CWI

Veteran
A friend of mine walked from Lowestoft to Cape Cornwall. Furthest E to W. He finished last week. His route was 555 miles. Would be a good ride.

Search for Trussytrek for info.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'd quite happily live there :smile:, rock pooling by the picnic tables at Camas Thor is one of my favourite things to do

@outlash

Beautiful location but the long, long, long... singletrack road to get there is a complete bitch!

Lovely Wife and I did contemplate what life would be like there and decided it would be ok if we both fully retired again, had stunning internet access and Tesco's or similar would deliver our groceries!

One of the fun things about touring is independence from conformity

We have ccled rom Portsmouth to POrtsmouth via Kent, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and back through the Welsh Marches, Cornwall and the South Coast

We have also crossed at the level of Lowestoft / St Davids, Hadrian's Wall, the C2C and the Trans Pennine Trail

MAke up your own routes, mix and match, but above all do it your way

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
One of the fun things about touring is independence from conformity

We have ccled rom Portsmouth to POrtsmouth via Kent, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and back through the Welsh Marches, Cornwall and the South Coast

We have also crossed at the level of Lowestoft / St Davids, Hadrian's Wall, the C2C and the Trans Pennine Trail

MAke up your own routes, mix and match, but above all do it your way

Have already started planning my route and even bought "100 greatest climbs" today hoping to plot some impressive summits into the route on the way back to Lowestoft. I live in Norfolk so "impressive summits" really means anything over 10 metres lol!

Top Bottom