Coast-to-coast off-road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yes indeed, that's where most of my riding will be, but there are quite a few technical sections on the route, so keeping in practice off-road is needed too.

Besides.... It's fun :biggrin:

Yep it's fun, and shall I am going to miss it. No more trail riding for me :cry:

:sad:

That sucks. :thumbsdown:
Yep, big time but right now just being able to ride again would be nice. Btbh, I can't see how I could trail ride again effectively missing a disk in my spine with 2 vertebrae touching and grinding against each other which is what I now have sadly. I'm hoping if I recover enough use of my right leg to be able to continue being able to do forest rides on bridle paths etc, but I think my days of steep drop offs and jumps etc are over... Not even sure right now about really rough section of tree routes... Mind you the first hurdle is just to get cycling again... And for that I am having to look at recumbent trikes...

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
That's pretty much all there was in it anyway along with a tiny bottle of shower gel and a travel towel. Shampoo is not really required any more anyway :whistle:

With good preparation, I'll have the best chance of enjoying it :biggrin:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A bit of thread resurrection here. I did the C2C from Workington to Newcastle a few years ago, staying as much as possible on the off road sections. Despite a lack of hill training and being a fat bloke, I managed it without dying. The Old Coach Road and Hartside did come close to causing heart attacks though, if it wasn't for the fact I was ridding with some really competitive people I would have walked a lot more of it. In retrospect, i would have ridden on semi slicks rater than full nobblies and would have upgraded from my £300 heaviest hardtail in the world award winning bike. To be honest, my fear of hills has not gone away to this day. Good luck on your trip, I loved it now I get a chance to look back.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
I am really looking forward to it now, it'll be a tough 7 days and there are quite a few areas that will be unrideable, but to be out in the wilderness alone is quite appealing :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

I will be starting at Ravenglass and finish at Ravenscar just north of Scarborough, so some of our routes could overlap. I'm following this route:
http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/mtb-c2c
Erm, I'd check that route before you set off - I've just had a quick look and it crosses the River Lune via a ford that's not been maintained in years. I'd doubt if it's even crossable in a drought.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yeah, it is flagged up on the route description to check the river before attempting it. If in doubt, there is a road route to bypass it by a bridge to the north, rejoining the route above the woods.

I'll likely end up going that way.

They've also amended one section away from a permissive path that was not intended for mass use. I check it regularly as they will make changes from rider feedback. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 23692

Good O. Knowing some of those BW's it'll certainly be an adventure

It looks a similar route to an Esk to Esk (Ravenglass to Whitby) route that I know of. But that is still in development ;)

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
After my test at Settle, it certainly will be :smile:

At least I know that my time estimates for the distance were about right.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Arise sleeping thread :smile:

The Mudhuggers have arrived and are fitted. The rear one fits under the rack brilliantly, the front one may need a little modifying. It's clearly made for a wider fork crown than I have. I'll "relax" it a bit with a hairdryer to help it fit better.

The bike is now being set up for tour with 4 weeks to go. I'll need a test ride with it loaded up to see how it rides then. :smile:
19391833345_447b73c277_c.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Neat job.

I'm not sure how off extremely off road you are going, but you haven't got a lot of clearance.

I would move the rear mudguard up the seat stay a bit.

It won't look as well, but will be less likely to clog.

As regards the front, a Mucky Nutz Face Fender is small, neat, and surprisingly effective.

You haven't got a lot of clearance under the fork brace, so I would mount a Face Fender above the brace or directly under the fork crown.

Or mount your existing guard higher up, but it might not be wide enough.

Face Fenders come in different sizes, this is the standard one:

http://www.muckynutz.com/mudguards/face_fender

Top Bottom