Coast-to-coast off-road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

They look to have the about the same clearance as mine, which about a finger's width betwixt tyre and guard. It seems counter intuitive (but as per the instructions). I've never experienced any problems despite collecting buckets of wet Cumbrian countryside on the tyres.

The front mounting legs did need a bit of reshaping with a hot air gun, but that was to gain more side clearance on my Fox forks. It's a well known and recommended tweak to get the sitting just right. it take about 5 mins of your time to do so

Joel shows you how...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhS1TlQQVs

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Neat job.

I'm not sure how off extremely off road you are going, but you haven't got a lot of clearance.

I would move the rear mudguard up the seat stay a bit.
I could be on anything from tarmac, bridleways, gravel, packed dirt, mud, rocks, the lot. That seems to be how they recommend setting them up, but I do have some wriggle-room if I need to move it. The front should be fine after its heat-adjustment.

A test ride will tell me.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
The front Mudhugger has been adjusted with a hairdryer, which has given it much better looking clearance, and the whole lot has been out on the roads for a test, which has taught me a couple of things:

1. Conti X-king tyres roll really well on tarmac, as well as being good off-road.
2. Endura waterproof overtrousers will be a proper PITA to actually cycle in. It'll still be good to have them with me, but they won't get worn unless it's heavy rain all day I think.

It's all looking good, next comes the "what do I really need to carry" decisions :biggrin:

Gixxerman

Guru
I am looking at this with interest as I have been contemplating doing something similar before I get too old and decrepit.
I did Whithaven to Whitby last year (190 miles all road over 3 days) which I intend to do again soon. I would like to do C2C off-road too.
Just one comment about your route. There seems to be an error at Osmotherley (159.8 miles), whereby you go as the crow flies to Square Corner (161.4 miles). That is unless you are really going off-road or doing that bit by helicopter.
Anyway hope it goes ok for you and let us know how you got on.
Good luck.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
The track on the website is often not that precise, so I've done my own route files using their maps and the description as reference. I'm still finalising the actual route I'm going to take, I'll post up the map links before I go. :smile:

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Aborted after day 1 :sad:

After taking 8 hours to cover 20 miles, I now know what the planners consider to be good bridleways.

They aren't. The first 10 miles were absolutely fine, rideable BW's and everything was happy despite the constant drizzle. Then I arrived at Hardknott Pass where the route hits another bridleway after the first cattle grid. I slipped and nearly broke my leg crossing the stream, then had to climb up the large slippery boulders at the start (dragging 20kg of bike up with me). Then it was walking the bike up 20%+ slopes, where I had hopes of being able to ride again.

No, I had to drag the bike through bogs, more unrideable stuff, and finally got to a river crossing. It was a load of boulders dotted across a fast, deep river with a metal cable to hang on to. Getting the bike across that was not going to happen, so I had to fight my way up the river side for about a mile to get to a small bridge that at least got me back to some road.

Now I just had to get over Walna Scar Road. More pushing and climbing up 20%+, it took ages to get to the top, where at least it's downhill all the way to Coniston. A bit more walking and climbing down, but made Coniston just before the chippy closed, and called for rescue.

There will be more of that kind of country to cross and I have seriously underestimated it. If I'm going to do an off-road C2C again, it will not be by this route, it needs a lot of changes to make it rideable for mortals. Having to walk 10 miles out of 20 is not my idea of a cycling holiday.

I'm now planning some road routes to link up the other hotels, so at least that money isn't wasted.
:sad::B)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That is really disappointing @MikeW-71.
Well, nothing you could have done in preparation for this, certainly you couldn't have done a reccie for a whole tour! :hugs:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The more I learn about bridleways, the less I like them.

Most around here are not pleasant cycling, certainly not for a cycle path plodder like me.

Never mind @MikeW-71, responding to unforeseen circumstances is all part of the fun of a cycling tour.

I'm sure you will get plenty of enjoyment from the revised route.

D

Deleted member 23692

That must be so disappointing after all the prep and planning you've put in to this trip. If there is a bright side to this .... at least you aborted before Tuesday's super wet weather, and the after effects that's has on the rivers, and ground conditions.

Hopefully Plan B recovers the week for you

Sadly there is no legal requirement for BW's to be maintained so that they can be used by bikes - only by horse.

And now at the Dales Bike Centre in Grinton.

Not far in distance from Hawes, but a good bit of climbing on a gear that could have been a bit lower really. Still, there's nothing like the sound of rifle fire to motivate you up a climb :laugh:
We used to live on an MOD training area so learnt to sleep through anything (after 12 years of it you do). I used to take great pleasure in scaring the life out of unobservant, half asleep sentries as I cycled to work, seeing how close I could get to them in the half dawn light around 6am in the morning. I would often actually be passed them before they responded. I have to confess to having said boo to one or two of them over the years! :laugh:

Top Bottom