Coasting in 10 mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Doing the local TT tonight got caught by my minute and 2 minute man!!! As they sailed serenely passed I noticed how they didn't seem to coast at all even on downward slopes. In contrast I virtually had my flip flops on, such was my coasting. Had previously regarded coasting as a vital time to regather energy, now I am not so sure. Took a pic of my cadence data. Should a decent TT effort have fewer dips or even none?
Screenshot_20180621-214127.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You don't stop pedalling in a time trial.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not a time triallist but the idea of coasting in a TT seems distinctly odd! I would have thought that you'd make sure that you had a big enough gear that you could carry on pedalling even on the downhills and be going at a rate that was just a smidge under that which would induce projectile vomiting! (Until you got to the finish line that is, when puking might be acceptable.) :whistle:

Sharky

Guru
There is a point on fast descents where freewheeling and a good tuck position is faster than pedaling, but otherwise just keep pedaling. As I usually ride fixed, I've never reached that point. I once hit 44mph at the start of a 10 on the Tonbridge bypass course, which has a gift down hill section and I really wished that I could coast, but was on fixed.

Tin Pot

Guru
On a perfect course/performance it would be like a velodrome TT. Constant even power over all gradients.

Can’t say I’ve ever had much luck doing that in TTS or triathlons.

There is a point on fast descents where freewheeling and a good tuck position is faster than pedaling, but otherwise just keep pedaling. As I usually ride fixed, I've never reached that point. I once hit 44mph at the start of a 10 on the Tonbridge bypass course, which has a gift down hill section and I really wished that I could coast, but was on fixed.

Same course I believe I had to coast/brake to avoid being killed by HGVs on the dual carriageways.

D

Deleted member 26715

I once hit 44mph at the start of a 10 on the Tonbridge bypass course
Not that I am doubting you, but how could you keep up with the cadence at that kind of speed, you're probably spinning at over 300-400 times a minute

Sharky

Guru
Not that I am doubting you, but how could you keep up with the cadence at that kind of speed, you're probably spinning at over 300-400 times a minute
I was on a 95" fixed (50x14) and at 44mph, that is about 158 revs per minute. It was well above my comfort zone and only lasts for about 15 seconds before it begins to flatten out, But was scary.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I was on a 95" fixed (50x14) and at 44mph, that is about 158 revs per minute. It was well above my comfort zone and only lasts for about 15 seconds before it begins to flatten out, But was scary.

My best, not in competition, was down Trow Hill towards Sidford some 20 odd years ago: 42mph on a 67" fixed. My heart-rate was much higher at the bottom of the hill than at the top. I can still twiddle, but not like that.

Ajay

Veteran
Its a flat course so I wouldn't expect to see much in the way of peaks and troughs. If you're feeling the need to coast I'd suggest that you're going out too hard. As I'm sure you know, pacing is fundamental in time trialling. You can't worry about being caught, in amateur events there is always a huge variety of ability/experience/equipment. Focus only on your time in comparison to your previous efforts.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The only regular coasting I ever did was once a year on the club hilly 20 miler*- on one downhill I'd get up a good speed in the highest gear and then flatten myself on the bike as much as I could and coast to recover for the flattish couple of miles that followed. I only did this because it was a good descent and the recovery was a benefit later (3 laps so it was a nice little rest)

*The main ascent on that race was the only time I'd pull away from some of the bigger, faster, riders in the club. They'd catch me later once it flattened out.

*Still sore at the racing sec. describing that hill as a 'big ring' hill. First time I rode it I confidently hit it in the 54, was almost stationary about 30s later.

*It was also the worst course in terms of probability of becoming stuck behind a tractor.

Top Bottom