Coasting in 10 mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I was on a 95" fixed (50x14) and at 44mph, that is about 158 revs per minute. It was well above my comfort zone and only lasts for about 15 seconds before it begins to flatten out, But was scary.

I go by my GPS recorded velocity and see just over 60kph at some point not uncommonly.

I’d be downhilling about 120rpm on 50x11 then coasting for that. The only benefit of my 80+kg, don’t try to take it away from me!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was on a 95" fixed (50x14) and at 44mph, that is about 158 revs per minute. It was well above my comfort zone and only lasts for about 15 seconds before it begins to flatten out, But was scary.
Big gear alert!!!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Given that these are on open roads, surely you're going to need to coast a bit when you have to interact with other traffic. Even if it's down the road, round the roundabout and then back up the road then you're going to be coasting a bit on the approach to the roundabout?

I don't think TT routes on open roads are allowed to go round roundabouts these days - or at least it's not recommended (elf-n-safety-gawn-maaad, innit). Our club 10 route used to involve negioting a rather horrible roundabout at the end of the dual carriageway - the roundabout is notorious as a bit of an accident blackspot and is one of the things that used to put me off doing the club 10. Now the route has changed so you turn left at the roundabout onto a minor lane, cross over the dual carriageway via a bridge and filter back onto the other side.*

Of course, if it's not safe to join the dual carriageway, you do have to wait at the give way lines - even if you're on for a PB.

Anyway, to answer your question... yes, you may have to coast a bit on the approach to a couple of junctions. But that's not what the OP was talking about - coasting on open road sections simply means you're not trying hard enough.

*In case that's not clear, this is what it looks like on Strava:
Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 13.25.57.png

https://www.strava.com/routes/13952082

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Given that these are on open roads, surely you're going to need to coast a bit when you have to interact with other traffic. Even if it's down the road, round the roundabout and then back up the road then you're going to be coasting a bit on the approach to the roundabout?

Yes, assuming riding with a freewheel, but it's dependent on the junction, the traffic at that particular moment, and indications from the marshalls. Sometimes they'll indicate it is clear, they probably aren't supposed to but they do- especially where the junction has relatively light traffic and it's possible to make an unambiguous call.

Stopping is a good example. Usually coasting or stopping wouldn't do your performance any good but if there's temporary lights on the route or a pedestrian crossing you should stop.

I once did a 50 where I got stopped at a very long-sequence temporary light on the way out and on the way back. Also had a regular marshalling gig at a pedestrian crossing- didn't like it, there was a sort of unspoken expectation that you would dissuade pedestrians from pressing the button so if anyone had to stop they'd give me a look, and of course I had to report riders when they didn't stop. It was an early start though- there weren't many people up and about to press the button.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I don't think TT routes on open roads are allowed to go round roundabouts these days - or at least it's not recommended (elf-n-safety-gawn-maaad, innit). Our club 10 route used to involve negioting a rather horrible roundabout at the end of the dual carriageway - the roundabout is notorious as a bit of an accident blackspot and is one of the things that used to put me off doing the club 10. Now the route has changed so you turn left at the roundabout onto a minor lane, cross over the dual carriageway via a bridge and filter back onto the other side.*

Of course, if it's not safe to join the dual carriageway, you do have to wait at the give way lines - even if you're on for a PB.

Anyway, to answer your question... yes, you may have to coast a bit on the approach to a couple of junctions. But that's not what the OP was talking about - coasting on open road sections simply means you're not trying hard enough.

*In case that's not clear, this is what it looks like on Strava:
View attachment 415712

https://www.strava.com/routes/13952082

That's a Q course I think. That bridge is a killer, especially on the 25 course when you have to do it twice.

There are lots of Q courses that turn at roundabouts still, but if there is a safer alternative, I guess the course designer would take the safest route.
Thinking back to my early years, lots of courses had U-turns. A marshal stood in the middle of the road and you had to ride round him!

viniga

Guru
No law against coasting!

I would coast if, a) I didn't have the right gear for the hill b) If i needed to slow down / manoeuvring or c) I needed to recover as my pacing was off

Given the description of your course it sounds like you could be losing time on these sections.

NB I have heard that keeping the legs spinning, even if not pushing out power, helps clear the lactic acid.

Good luck on your next attempt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You drop too much time by coasting. You need to be on the power. Hit the hills hard, recover but still pedal. There are a good few seconds lost by coasting.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
My best times last year coincided with me getting a power meter and realising I eased of and coasted too much on descents. To go faster it was better if I gave less uphill and maximised the downhill.
Just got a power meter! Expect to see massive gains - well, maybe some little ones!

Top Bottom