Cockney Rhyming Slang (use and abuse)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sort of hate rhyming slang but then there is something about it that has a strage British oddness to it that makes me also love it and think that it is one little bit of Britishness that we should try to hang on to.

I do hate it though when it is used wrongly. "Kates Thrupenny Bits" is wrong as it should be "Kates Thrupennys" (My Nan would have certainly have pronounced it Threp-nee though).
Point being the rhyme should not be said just the linked word.

When used right it can be good. Best I have heard - Joe Pasquale in that washed up celeb in a jungle show having been eaten by insects or something "ooh me jacobs".

On Only Fools and Horses they would say "Syrup" without explaining it at all which must have puzzled a few viewers around the world.

Quiz time
Without the use of the internet then - what is a "Kettle" referring to and why?

Durian

Über Member
Dunno mate, give us a scooby.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 2044600, member: 259"]I know it's a watch (not from being a cockney, but from from reading Anthony Burgess's autobiography), but I don't know how it's derived.[/quote]
kettle and Hob slang for Fob watch.

kettle and Hob slang for Fob watch.

Yes - so the name Kettle carried over from the fob watch (known then just as a fob) to the wrist watch.

I did google cockney rhyming slang and it is amazing how many articles on line are wrong with all sorts of things. One said something like "not all cockney slang rhymes -for example the police are called the sweeney".

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So, are they supposed to just say 'apples' for stairs? :whistle:
yes

Tom? (As in 'went for a Ruby last night, I'm dying for a Tom')

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As I understand it, whilst the vast majority of Cockney rhyming slang should be said with just the first part, there are a couple of exceptions. I don't know whether there are rules to guide us, or whether it's just what sounds better.

For example, I think you would say "Fancy a couple of britneys down the battle cruiser?" rather than "Fancy a couple of britneys down the battle?"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A mate of mine was born in Manchester to a Cockney father. He was complaining to me the other day that he had been unable to understand half the things that his dad said to him as a child! :smile:

trampyjoe

As I understand it, whilst the vast majority of Cockney rhyming slang should be said with just the first part, there are a couple of exceptions. I don't know whether there are rules to guide us, or whether it's just what sounds better.

For example, I think you would say "Fancy a couple of britneys down the battle cruiser?" rather than "Fancy a couple of britneys down the battle?"
Ah see what you've done there is confused what is now called rhyming slang and what was rhyming slang. I know language evolves (just like everything else on this planet!) but it does upset me when I hear new rhyming slang like 'britneys' as it's not what I grew up with :sad:

Top Bottom