Cockney Rhyming Slang (use and abuse)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah see what you've done there is confused what is now called rhyming slang and what was rhyming slang. I know language evolves (just like everything else on this planet!) but it does upset me when I hear new rhyming slang like 'britneys' as it's not what I grew up with :sad:
I think it is rather good that new words and so new rhymes come along. Growing up in the 70s glam rock era we always wore our Lionels on a night out.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Ah see what you've done there is confused what is now called rhyming slang and what was rhyming slang. I know language evolves (just like everything else on this planet!) but it does upset me when I hear new rhyming slang like 'britneys' as it's not what I grew up with :sad:

But Cockney Rhyming Slang has always been added to as new people come up with new phrases.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's a chap in Hoxton (not one of the newer arrivals) who says that he has devoted his life to manufacturing rhyming slang. He claims 'shoot in the pail' for 'brown ale' as his own. If you go for a haircut in Hoxton High Street you might meet him hanging around the barbers.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A quick Sherman.
Or possibly an Armitage.
Both mean the same thing, really.
Kenneth Williams used the term 'Barclays'
220px-Bob_Diamond_-_World_Economic_Forum_Annual_Meeting_2012.jpg

Top Bottom