Coffee machine chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So......I enjoy, maybe 3 or 4 cups of coffee per week. Mainly white.
I have a Tassimo which is OKish.
What machine would give me fresh coffee without braking the bank.....maybe 7 cups per week.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
agree nespresso is a triumph of marketing over proper coffee, and waste / recycing nightmare. a stove top espresso machine does a much better job at the fraction of the cost.

C'mon chums, there's people who look down on us B2C users, so let's not get into that lest we turn into a 1960s sketch.

View: https://fb.watch/gJSkuk1iBu/

we have an older style Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine. it's not bad, i tend to have to preheat the water a little in the kettle as without it's not the warmest. although our £1k machine in work was the same, luke warm when it came out without preheating.
have bought some of the pods from Lidl which i haven't tried in it before, hoping they are nice. if they are they are a lot cheaper so :okay:

Broadside

Guru
agree nespresso is a triumph of marketing over proper coffee, and waste / recycing nightmare. a stove top espresso machine does a much better job at the fraction of the cost.

I love real coffee but as the only coffee drinker in my house I would never get through a bag of beans before they are past their best. Nespresso works for me and I see the capsule waste as no worse than chucking out most of a bag of coffee that has gone off because I didn’t use it in time.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
No machine, look at a thing called an Aeropress Dave. Really, really good and cheap as chips.

Agree, Aeropress is really good for making coffee without a machine and with very little waste. I used to use one practically daily when I worked in a office (now I WFH, so have a bean to cup). They are simple to use with pre-ground coffee, easy to clean out and the waste consists of grounds and a small paper filter disc which can be composted.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
No machine here. V60 drip method for me, with a decent grinder and kettle. Cheap, reliable, great taste. (Sometimes use stovetop Mokaexpress pot)

It can get Very Nerdy.
Have a look at what James Hoffman suggests on YouTube if you want a machine. He is pretty knowledgeable.

Dripper gets loads of flavour out, which is the key for me.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I love real coffee but as the only coffee drinker in my house I would never get through a bag of beans before they are past their best. Nespresso works for me and I see the capsule waste as no worse than chucking out most of a bag of coffee that has gone off because I didn’t use it in time.
You can store ground coffee in the freezer and use it straight into any machine of choice, keeps freshest that way.

postman

Legendary Member
Gets good reviews, DeL is generally good stuff, price is good.
Check it out,if it's Del Boy Peckham run away.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree, Aeropress is really good for making coffee without a machine and with very little waste. I used to use one practically daily when I worked in a office (now I WFH, so have a bean to cup). They are simple to use with pre-ground coffee, easy to clean out and the waste consists of grounds and a small paper filter disc which can be composted.

Aeropress is a nice route to good coffee - buy pre-ground espresso grade or get a hand burr grinder and away you go!
All highly portable too 😀

Chromatic

Legendary Member

Aeropress is a nice route to good coffee - buy pre-ground espresso grade or get a hand burr grinder and away you go!
All highly portable too 😀

Chromatic's top tip alert. Buy a stainless steel filter for them, according to my wife the coffee tastes better than if you use paper filters.

Willd

Veteran
1668199811832.png

:okay:

Petrichorwheels

Get one these - low maintenance, simple to use and maintain. Your can also experiment with capsules with coffee all around the world.

The capsules are sealed so things are also fresh.
View attachment 667550

Capsule things are the work of marketeers.
The coffee bean is all the packaging you need.
Get yourself a gaggia classic, if in a hard water area descale regularly.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Capsule things are the work of marketeers.
The coffee bean is all the packaging you need.
Get yourself a gaggia classic, if in a hard water area descale regularly.

...and modify it to 9 bar, then spend at least double the amount on a high quality grinder and feed it high quality fresh (but not just-roasted, they must rest) beans with a calibrated and measured dose which the Gaggia dispenses in 30 seconds and you may be some way to nirvana.

...and all that. Any less is just artifice if one pretends to be serious about coffee. :okay:

Or drink what you fancy as long as you are happy and enjoy it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We have. Sage Barista Pro , it’s gone up a bit on price . Works for us , we also have a Nespresso machine for our caravan . Both suit for my needs. Pods are way more expensive , however my Sage machine has been repaired once under warranty already !

Top Bottom