Coffee machine chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ll tell you about shoot coffee. Was up in Perth yesterday. Whilst waiting on wife and MIL , my youngest and I went to Tim Hortons . Horrible it was and the donuts not much better . Mate at work raves about it as well ……..

Ranking order, best to ordinary
  1. Nero's
  2. Monmouth
  3. Pret a Manger
  4. Costa
  5. Starbucks
  6. Tim Horton's
Leaving out Greggs as the main draw is the food to go.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Every once in a while I like a nice large, hot and strong(ish) latte. I don’t like the lukewarm insipid milky lattes you get at Costa and prefer instead the sort of latte you get at Caffe Nero.

A friend of mine has a home coffee maker very similar to the one at that link and it seems to take quite a lot of faffing around to produce a single small latte that looks pretty much like the one in the photo and tastes worse than a Costa coffee. That kind of put me off buying my own home coffee machine.

Buy decent machine - plenty good reviewers around.
Use an integral filter, or softened water.
Keep it clean - at least weekly for the brew unit, plus the automatic processes the machine demands.
Feed it good quality, fresh beans - something that's been roasted this Millennium, so not supermarket-bought.

Job jobbed.

DRM

Guru
There’s no recycling issue with Nespresso, we have a Vertuo machine & you just order pod back recycling bags with your pod order & then when you order the next round of pods add a free pod back collection to the basket and just leave the bags outside for the courier, easy

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
There’s no recycling issue with Nespresso, we have a Vertuo machine & you just order pod back recycling bags with your pod order & then when you order the next round of pods add a free pod back collection to the basket and just leave the bags outside for the courier, easy

I think the point is that this innovation doesn't have the recycling bit at all, which is a good thing.

I think the point is that this innovation doesn't have the recycling bit at all, which is a good thing.

And it’s why Nespresso will release a similar pod without pod next year although it seems they are a bit late with the development.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I love coffee but am not fussy.

My mate has spent literally thousands on his coffee setup at home, takes about 30 mins to make a coffee.

However I like it simple. I have a fairly decent filter coffee machine which I bought second hand for £5. And I have a few different Moka pots including an electric one, the others I often use with the trangia. I also drink instant alot of the time.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I love coffee but am not fussy.

My mate has spent literally thousands on his coffee setup at home, takes about 30 mins to make a coffee.

However I like it simple. I have a fairly decent filter coffee machine which I bought second hand for £5. And I have a few different Moka pots including an electric one, the others I often use with the trangia. I also drink instant alot of the time.

There's a point where it becomes an enthusiast's domain, which is fine, as long as said enthusiasts don't criticise those who enjoy something more modest 😊

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've tried a few different methods... scratch that... I think I've tried most of them. I like plain black coffee, strong and in small cups. This thing has been good for me

1668331308134.png

Bean to cup. Modestly priced (around £200), fast and simple. Doesn't do frothy, milky stuff but I don't need that anyway. I've had to switch to decaffeinated beans unfortunately but it's still the best coffee I've had.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I managed to snaffle this for £290. 20% off with very. Then £11 normal Quidco & £50 Quidco for a connected special flash bonus.

https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/elet...m_medium=affiliation_uk&utm_campaign=RedBrain

That's a good buy.

I have one of these: https://www.melitta.co.uk/products/...affeo-barista-ts-stainless-steel-refurbished/

Bought for well sub £200 on eBay. It cost me about £20 in parts to sort its incontinence, plus another brew unit for about £45 to swap out each week when I clean it.

3,000-odd coffees later it's still churning out coffees, various, quite happily, and also heating milk for my daughter's hot chocolates. Dual bean hoppers are genuinely useful, too.

That Beko machine is a good piece of kit if you simply want espresso shots.

newts

Veteran
Enjoy your new coffee machine, it can be a harsh, frustrating learning curve. There will be some vile espressos to start with, but there will also be be some superb brews that will leave a comforting taste on your tongue for several hours. Weigh your grounds/weigh the extraction & time the extraction, also record these over the first couple of months, it will help you fine tune you to your machine. It seems like alot of faff to start with, but we'll worth the effort & you'll get consistent brews☕

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
That Beko machine is a good piece of kit if you simply want espresso shots.
I got hooked on the "Americanos" they serve in Spain. Essentially a large Lungo where they keep pouring. Nespresso did a fair facsimile but the bean to cup version is much better, cheaper and more sustainable.

Top Bottom