Coffee machine chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thought I'd report back on the new machine. We're both very pleased with it, having fired it up for the first time on 1st February.
We drink a lot of coffee and the spill tray needs frequent emptying ( there's a float that triggers a sensor to let you know when it needs emptying) water reservoir could do with being bigger but thats a minor issue. We have been trying different beans, a can of illy espresso beans that we purchased in error thinking it was ground coffee, and which was approaching its best before date were surprisingly good.
We were happy with our filter coffee, but this is so much nicer.

Happy Donkey is a great supplier for comparatively cheap - I have 2kg of Classic Italian bean en route. Their Sumatra's lovely (and milder) too, but the sky really is the limit in terms of artisan suppliers!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've eased into the ground coffee market rather late, and gone in at a very entry level. I bought a ground coffee machine from Tesco for £20, much easier to clean filter etc I find than a french press. I am finding I have to use 3 tablespoons of coffee per 2 cups which is quite expensive, but could this be because it's decaff and cheap coffee (I buy Taylor's or Lidl's own)?

Seems a bit earthy and not as good as the old pod machine I once had in terms of flavour. But as I've already bought it I might as well make use of it. Certainly still better than instant though (p.s. I have it black, no sugar)

newts

Veteran
I've eased into the ground coffee market rather late, and gone in at a very entry level. I bought a ground coffee machine from Tesco for £20, much easier to clean filter etc I find than a french press. I am finding I have to use 3 tablespoons of coffee per 2 cups which is quite expensive, but could this be because it's decaff and cheap coffee (I buy Taylor's or Lidl's own)?

Seems a bit earthy and not as good as the old pod machine I once had in terms of flavour. But as I've already bought it I might as well make use of it. Certainly still better than instant though (p.s. I have it black, no sugar)

Decaf is more difficult to brew especially if it's older beans/ground coffee. Moka pot might do a better job with decaf as it'll brew under pressure.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
For the second time, I lost the sealing washer in the pod holder on my Dualit. I ended up contacting Dualit who, for very cheap price, sending an entire new handle/holder assembly.

DSC_2444.JPG

DSC_2446~2.JPG

First time, it must have ended up in the ♻.
Yesterday, I discovered it had vanished again as the coffee was pouring out of the sides inside of through the nozzle into my mug.

I ended up emptying the kitchen bin (luckily not the wheelie bin!!) and searched through the spud and carrot peelings etc but couldn't find it. Oh, well, thought I, I'll get back in touch with Dualit again.
That's when I decided to give the machine and the area a good cleaning....

Yep, there was the sealing washer exactly where it'd rolled to. Under the toaster 😏

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I always wanted one, a proper non-pod one, and anyone who knows me well enough would know that it totally goes with 'me' :smile:
Then I had a relationship with someone who had one, and it was a total PITA to use ... main issue for me was filling the container behind the unit with water (it wasn't plumbed in) ... I just didn't like doing it for some reason ... :laugh: Also, I take my coffee black, and doing hot milk for her with the little metal arm thingy was also a pita ... it looked the business, and totally goes with my own personal style, but using one put me off forever ... I'll stick with my macchinetta, and let the coffee shops do all the squeaky-squirty stuff. I'd never use pods, even though they've made improvements in recycling/composting etc ... just a pointless waste of resources imho. ☕

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Thought I'd report back on the new machine. We're both very pleased with it, having fired it up for the first time on 1st February.
We drink a lot of coffee and the spill tray needs frequent emptying ( there's a float that triggers a sensor to let you know when it needs emptying) water reservoir could do with being bigger but thats a minor issue. We have been trying different beans, a can of illy espresso beans that we purchased in error thinking it was ground coffee, and which was approaching its best before date were surprisingly good.

Illy coffee is very nice. We get ours from Common Coffee

JB052

Are you still drinking just plain black coffee with the Melitta Solo?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Yes what’s this scaling problem ? Not something we have North of the border

In our small West Yorkshire village the water is really hard. I thought it was down south. Our toilets develop mineral deposits it’s so hard.

Top Bottom