Coffee machine chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Enjoy your new coffee machine, it can be a harsh, frustrating learning curve. There will be some vile espressos to start with, but there will also be be some superb brews that will leave a comforting taste on your tongue for several hours. Weigh your grounds/weigh the extraction & time the extraction, also record these over the first couple of months, it will help you fine tune you to your machine. It seems like alot of faff to start with, but we'll worth the effort & you'll get consistent brews☕

Or fiddle with the knobs F&R :laugh:

Adam4868

Guru
Sure somebody will have mentioned it but this is the best I've had.Makes better coffee than any machine and you can take it anywhere 😁
Screenshot_20221113-121605.png

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
We have. Sage Barista Pro , it’s gone up a bit on price . Works for us , we also have a Nespresso machine for our caravan . Both suit for my needs. Pods are way more expensive , however my Sage machine has been repaired once under warranty already !
Siemens Bean to Cup for us, have had to replace it once at about 13 years old. The newer one is much easier to clean the hopper and press/filter

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Siemens Bean to Cup for us, have had to replace it once at about 13 years old. The newer one is much easier to clean the hopper and press/filter

I had a Siemens Surpresso S20* for absolute donks - couldn't kill it, so I eBayed it instead (whereupon it immediately died for the buyer so I gave him a refund, 'cos I'm a nice bloke!)

*Brick outhouse build

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hello folks, bit of a threat resurrection here.

We have been using a Melitta filter machine for a couple of years. It’s got an insulated jug for keeping the coffee hot- ish, and as both Mrs Tenkaykev and I just drink plain black coffee it's been ideal. We've just been gifted a Melitta Solo bean to cup machine ( we had an overnight stay with our son in London last week, he has one on these machines and Mrs Tenkaykev said how much she likes the coffee, yesterday a machine turned up on our doorstep )
It's still in the box as we have several bags of ground coffee to work our way through first, but reading the instruction manual, I see the water reservoir can take a water filter cartridge ( though they don't supply one with the machine ). It's a different design to the usual jug filter cartridge, and an individual cartridge costs about £15. I'm wondering if there'd be any difference than if I topped up the water container from a filter jug as the jug filters are more readily available. ?

deuxfois

I've had a couple of espresso machines which made decent coffee, but the need for regular maintenance (cleaning, de-coking) and the fact that after a few years each of them ended up as unrepairable landfill persuaded me to go for something quicker, cheaper and simpler.

Have a look at the clever-dripper which is basically a traditional conical filter with a valve to allow you to 'brew' the coffee for a few minutes before allowing it to drip through. The use of filter papers gives a nice, clean drink free of the sludge you get with a cafetière.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thought I'd report back on the new machine. We're both very pleased with it, having fired it up for the first time on 1st February.
We drink a lot of coffee and the spill tray needs frequent emptying ( there's a float that triggers a sensor to let you know when it needs emptying) water reservoir could do with being bigger but thats a minor issue. We have been trying different beans, a can of illy espresso beans that we purchased in error thinking it was ground coffee, and which was approaching its best before date were surprisingly good.
We were happy with our filter coffee, but this is so much nicer.

Top Bottom