Cold call responses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Some hospitals used to rent space to "Ambulance Chasers" with big signs saying... "Unhappy with your treatment - you could be entitled to compensation"
Two large signs in the local A&E for that. The 24 hour freephone has been removed though.

snorri

Legendary Member
Warning... NSFW
:stop:I'm a little scared to open your link, it could be a recording of my recent interaction with BT.

Lonestar

Veteran
I had a real spate of these at a time but I was determined never to answer always screening calls and this went on for ages.I devised a system of cutting off the answer machine by remote control to the power adapter if needed and this year the cold calls have been next to zero.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Call Guardian on the phones stops all the 'fun' The down side is I've had to get the 'automated' appointment's reminder number from the Hospital added to the approved callers.

I used to work in London, in quite a stressful job, and the commute home was generally pretty awful, too.

One night I arrived home at about 7pm, feeling pretty frazzled, and was just about to tuck into my dinner when the phone rang. Would I like a representative to call and quote for double glazing?

I opened the conversation with "If you had bothered to send someone round before calling, you would quickly see that we have just renewed all the double glazing in our property" I thought that would get rid of them. But no. The caller went on......

" But are you satisfied with it?"

"No, I think I may just rip it all out and shell out another five grand on a whole new lot. How about that? Or I could just leave the windows and you could f*** right off and leave me alone "

We registered with the Telephone Preference Service after that, to cut the number of cold calls.......

Lonestar

Veteran
Call Guardian on the phones stops all the 'fun' The down side is I've had to get the 'automated' appointment's reminder number from the Hospital added to the approved callers.

That needs some sort of caller ID which I don't have?

Looked it up and it doesn't seem like that although I haven't got a problem at the moment.The invasion has stopped.

Looking forward to the next challenge.:popcorn:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I occasionally wind them up. I occasionally hang up. However, as I use google contacts (which syncs across devices) as soon as I knw it is a cold call, I ad the number to a contact called something appropriate. Then if they ring again, I can simply not take the call, as the name flashes up on my mobile screen
I've a contact called Spammer set to auto reject with no Voicemail and no audio alerts for texts.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
These people call up strangers and lie to them for a living. And they do this to find people who have been injured in an accident so they can exploit them.

These people that phone you actually do none of that, what they do is a soul destroying job just following scripts for minimum wage to make their bosses rich. Like most of us, they're trying to pay their rent and feed their kids, and ire should be reserved for the people that run these horrid companies. I don't bother winding the callers up, I just hang up, block, and report the number.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suspect most of the ambulance chasers and mortgage compo lot are just dialing random numbers on the off-chance someone actually has had an accident. I've never had an accident meriting such a call and I still get a fair few.
I think I've previously mentioned a telephone company worker spotting one of these telemarketers autodialing all numbers sequentially while they were working on something. So they temporarily set all the unallocated numbers in their blocks in that exchange to answer and play out the well known recording of the chimp going beserk. The joys of software controlled exchanges! I would so love to have been a fly on the wall in the cold call centre then :laugh:

keithmac

Guru
I switched my answer phone off 15 years ago.

Any number not in my contacts gets left and then googled and then blocked as spam (wonderful function on android).

Used to get door knocked all the time about double glazing, as soon as you mentioned rented (it's not) they actually make excuses to leave which was nice!.

Local firm must have done a good job last year when we had new ones fitted as we don't get any now..

Top Bottom