Cold call responses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist could give you some tips.

I generally try to break my own record for recognising what kind of call it is and hanging up as quickly as possible. Current record 1.357 seconds with a following wind within regulation limits. I hope to be representing my country as soon as cutting off telemarketers is recognised as an Olympic sport.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I occasionally wind them up. I occasionally hang up. However, as I use google contacts (which syncs across devices) as soon as I knw it is a cold call, I ad the number to a contact called something appropriate. Then if they ring again, I can simply not take the call, as the name flashes up on my mobile screen

IME "And your source of that information is? always causes a the call to be terminated.

Slight thread highjack, but I can't help feeling hospital staff are a source for some of these callers. Every time I have had surgery in the last three years, there has been multiple calls shortly after I have returned home. In fact I spoke with the data guardian of Wythenshawe hospital because of the numbers of calls I received after my last surgery there.

Some hospitals used to rent space to "Ambulance Chasers" with big signs saying... "Unhappy with your treatment - you could be entitled to compensation"

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I suspect most of the ambulance chasers and mortgage compo lot are just dialing random numbers on the off-chance someone actually has had an accident. I've never had an accident meriting such a call and I still get a fair few. None of them know me by name, but I did get a succession of calls to a probably fictitious Mr Humphreys. I might try a camp "I'm free!" next time; there's an idea. Strangely when I announced I wasn't said Mr Humphreys they were still asking me if I'd had an accident which made me wonder if the Mr Humphreys thing was simply made up.

A guy who used to do small building jobs for us replied saying he didn't need double glazing at the moment, but was glad they called and asked if they needed any plastering done. When asked if he was beeing funny, he simply explained he was a plasterer and touting for work. They hung up when he asked them if any of their coleagues might like some plastering done.

I've previosuly recounted the tale of the chap in a fourth floor flat booking a visit from the conservatory salesman after a series of annoying sales calls.

Top Bottom