Cold Calling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not calls but i did get plenty of texts from laywers telling me that they could claim compensation for me after the recent accident i was in.
This happend a week after i helped out at a RTA, the only person i gave my number to was a police man who took my details.:dry:

Not doing that again, 6 texts a week for almost four months is takeing the mick.
This happened to my 13 year old daughter, and she never even spoke to the police. The only people who knew about her accident were at the hospital...more than a bit tacky to think there are people there taking backhanders from ambulance chasing lowlifes.

Herr-B

For me it's not so much phone calls, few and far between since TPS registration, but more and more texts - particularly informing me about PPI claims. Non-addressed junk mail through my door is the worst, but I just pop it back into a post box or send it all back in one of their reply envelopes. :whistle:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It was either Panorma or something on ITV recently which showed that TPS were toothless on this and no company in the last 18 months had ever been fined for ignoring the TPS list. Instead they get a stongly worded letter with the threat of a small fine which most companies blatenty ignored with undercover footage showing call centres tearing a page out of a telephone book and making their way down the list.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had a PPI call a couple of months ago. I started out with a polite "No Thanks we haven't had any" (which is true). Guy gets pushy, "are you sure, most people don't know they have had PPI", yadda yadda. Me "No I havent had any" - Off he goes again. FFS bang down goes the phone.

Sick of being polite - I know it's not their fault, but this guy took the biscuit.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Most of mine seem to stem from a couple of old contracts with ISP's etc which had an Indian call centre helpline. I think that they either sold the data base or it was copied one night shift.

I do them a favour and put the phone straight down.

If it's a recorded message, I don't hang up, I just put the phone down and let it run - at least while that's happening then they aren't bothering someone else.
I only get these at work, buy sadly I can't do that as no-one else can then get through. I know as soon as I hear the initial silence that's it's a PPI call, but I give it a second in case it's a customer who's just paused for breath, (never has been yet though), then as soon as I hear the recorded voice, bang, I hang up :cursing:

Had a PPI call a couple of months ago. I started out with a polite "No Thanks we haven't had any" (which is true). Guy gets pushy, "are you sure, most people don't know they have had PPI", yadda yadda. Me "No I havent had any" - Off he goes again. FFS bang down goes the phone.

Sick of being polite - I know it's not their fault, but this guy took the biscuit.

I had similar while on a train, he was very insistent that he could help me with my outstanding loans and PPI
at which point I asked him which loan he was referring to. "the loan you have had"

so I just shouted at him that I was fed up of him bothering me since I've never had a loan in my life.

thankfully the other occupants of the carriage understood.

ASC1951

Guru
[QUOTE 1976837, member: 9609"]
Is there any devices out there that can recognise number with-held and block the call. Better still would be a device that only permitted certain number to get through,....[/quote]
Yes, there is - at least on a home line. I only pick up the phone if Caller ID shows me a number that I recognise.

Arch

Married to Night Train
This happened to my 13 year old daughter, and she never even spoke to the police. The only people who knew about her accident were at the hospital...more than a bit tacky to think there are people there taking backhanders from ambulance chasing lowlifes.

I've heard of plenty of people getting that sort of call or text who've never had an accident, just like I get PPI calls that start with "our records show..." when I've never had a loan. It could just be coincidence, but looks like conspiracy because it happens to be true....

Maz

Guru
Not calls but i did get plenty of texts from laywers telling me that they could claim compensation for me after the recent accident i was in.
This happend a week after i helped out at a RTA, the only person i gave my number to was a police man who took my details.:dry:

Not doing that again, 6 texts a week for almost four months is takeing the mick.
What Arch said. They send these texts out to thousands of people...even if they haven't been in any accidents!

Night Train

Maker of Things
What Arch said. They send these texts out to thousands of people...even if they haven't been in any accidents!
I think I heard somewhere that they just generate random phone numbers and then persist in spamming the ones that they get a read receipt from.

Since I figured out how to delete without reading a text, the frequency has reduced somewhat.

Top Bottom