Cold hands.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
l suffer from cold hands at the best of times due to what l presume is bad circulation.
So in these cold winter days when cycling most days and weekends my hands are freezing cold like blocks of ice.. l wear thermal gloves but this makes no difference after being on the bike after 10 minutes. Most of my bike rides are for around a hour so by the time l get back home l've lost all the feelings in my fingers..
Anyone else suffer with this problem of cold hands, and any suggestions welcome to how l can keep my hands warm while cycling.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we were always told to stuff cold hands down the back of our rugby shorts when i played rugby at school , nit sure that would help when cycling .

welcome to the mad house

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I wear two pairs of gloves and when that's not enough, I do hand crunches and wiggle my fingers, which keeps the circulation pumping, if nothing else.

I know a few people who wear skiing mittens over their regular gloves.

timmyeatchips

I tend to get the same thing when walking in the freezing weather, I sometimes feel like gloves are more harm than good, keeping the fingers separate so the ones with bad circulation get even colder. Oddly enough, with the same gloves my hands have been fine on sub zero bike rides, maybe there's something you can do with your riding posture to help the blood flow.

timmyeatchips

I wear two pairs of gloves and when that's not enough, I do hand crunches and wiggle my fingers, which keeps the circulation pumping, if nothing else.

I know a few people who wear skiing mittens over their regular gloves.

I've also heard of people wearing latex gloves under regular gloves so you get that wind barrier but still get dexterity. They would probably be more effective on the outside but passers by might think they were in for a probing.

Camrider

A good pair of gloves should keep your hands warmer for more than 10 minutes. You say you are using thermal gloves but you need a pair that are wind proof and maybe waterproof as well if you goo out in the inclement stuff.
I bought a pair of these and they keep my hands nice and warm on a hours ride on a frosty morning. Only down side is they are a bit too warm once the temperatures start climbing over 5 ºC

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've heard people with similar problems say that it helps to keep your arms warm as well. Extra arm warmers? Make sure there are no gaps at the wrists?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Get some proper lobster gloves, add a lining glove and you should be fine.

lukesdad

Make sure you are not leaning on the bars, this will cut circulation hold them lightly caress them you know it makes sense.

mattobrien

Guru
I have got a pair of North Face etip Windstoppers, which I wear over my normal cycling mitts on very cold days. I have only actually had to wear them once this year, finding that my fingerless mitts are fine for anything down to around 5 degrees. I find that while my fingers are cold to start with, they tend to warm up after a while, depending on how hard I am working.

I have found that the Northface gloves are much warmer than my previous berghaus windstoppers, which seemed to stop the wind, but relatively poor insulation. I would thoroughly recommend the etip windstoppers.

jayonabike