Cold hands.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ray, buy a pair of these, they are brilliant. Just search on e bay for:

GORETEX Over Mitts Artic Cold Weather Fleece Lined Mitt

They are £15, I think. You wear your cycling gloves inside them. They will keep your hands dry and warm. If they are too warm just don't bother with the inner gloves.

I use them in Denmark down to about -10.

Venod

Eh up
Todays Planet X deal, get them big & wear a pair of normal gloves underneath.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLAGT2LG/agu-tec2-lobster-glove

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
[QUOTE 1689188, member: 259"]Try skiing gloves. They're generally much warmer than cycling gloves, and they're generally pretty waterproof. It's what I use in the winter now. Very cheap in the sales at the moment.[/QUOTE]
They are what i use for commuting, but are a bit cumbersome on the road bike. Never found a pair of cycling gloves that keep my hands really warm, they just keep them warm enough.:thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've heard people with similar problems say that it helps to keep your arms warm as well. Extra arm warmers? Make sure there are no gaps at the wrists?
What she said:smile:

I keep my body, arms, feet and head warm. I have been known to wear two pairs of gloves, so far this winter has been fairly mild for me and I haven't been suffering as much as normal. I'm sure there is plenty of time left though for it to get colder. I wear arm and leg warmers, and if I do get too hot, I unzip and remove layers (I'd rather that than the opposite). Usually means I've got a pannier half full of additional layers that I can put on as necessary.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
l suffer from cold hands at the best of times due to what l presume is bad circulation.
So in these cold winter days when cycling most days and weekends my hands are freezing cold like blocks of ice.. l wear thermal gloves but this makes no difference after being on the bike after 10 minutes. Most of my bike rides are for around a hour so by the time l get back home l've lost all the feelings in my fingers..
Anyone else suffer with this problem of cold hands, and any suggestions welcome to how l can keep my hands warm while cycling.

Do you get whitening or discolouration of you hands and digits with the cold? have you considered or been tested for Reynauds - it could be that whatever you do, if you've got medical issues you're going to struggle without a proper diagnosis and some treatment or advice.

other than that I'd echo what others have said.
Glove liners inside heavyweight winter cycling or ski specific gloves & make sure they're properly windproof, a latex glove over the top too will trap whatever heat you do produce inside and be a proper physical barrier to wind and wet. I got some little heat pads from Aldi too, they can just about work in gloves but not brilliant grop and feel wise I may tinker with them on the back of my hand with looser gloves on.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Now let me tell you my story about cold hands. One freezing morning I was determined to ride into work despite having lost one glove. Men I'd be OK I thought but after 10 minutes I just could take any more.

So I popped into wait rose in the way to work to buy some gloves. All they have were pink ladies gloves and I would have bought them if they fitted but alas they were too tights. I cycled some more and happened to come across a hardware store and went in there looking for gloves. I walked out with bright yellow rubber gloves younuae for such things as cleaning drains. I swear those gloves, on that day, were a miracle of god and I would have paid 5x the price for them.

nobbyp

^^^+1 for these - I bought some while skiing in Colorado when it was -30 and even my mutts nutts ski gloves where struggling on the lifts. Wear them under bog standard set of revolution winter gloves and make the world of difference

Silk glove liners are very light to carry and surprisingly warm even when wet.

^^^+1 for these - I bought some while skiing in Colorado when it was -30 and even my mutts nutts ski gloves where struggling on the lifts. Wear them under bog standard set of revolution winter gloves and make the world of difference
Another recommendation for silk liners. I also kite buggy; we regularly buggy in 20-30+ mph wind while we might be travelling at 30+ mph at right-angles to the wind direction - 300m up on top of the common with the temp already hovering around freezing makes for some interesting wind chill factors I can tell you!

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
[QUOTE 1689188, member: 259"]Try skiing gloves. They're generally much warmer than cycling gloves, and they're generally pretty waterproof. It's what I use in the winter now. Very cheap in the sales at the moment.[/QUOTE]
I've been out a few times on the MTB and wore a pair of Head branded ski gloves. My hands were toasty except from my finger tips which were still cold.

djb1971

Legendary Member
If you don't mind looking a bit of a tit, get some pogies.

I use them on the fatbike, very cosy. I've had the oven gloves comment on a couple of occasions but my fingers are still warm enough to give the hecklers a salute, see avatar:laugh:

As with body, it's all about layers of air between the skin and outside cold air. Silk glove liners, picked mine up from amazon for £7 for wearing when my thermal gloves aren't cutting it.

Never put on cold gloves, keep them next to the body till you need to wear them.
I tend to warm up even in colder temps, as mentioned two pairs neither particularly thick, do me in current temps, not so nice once wet and doing 30+ miles though, was tad cold when it snowed.

wanda2010

Guru
I have silk gloves used as liners for my heated gloves when the temp is 6 degrees and below. Higher temps get bulky gloves with thinner ones as liners.

I have Raynaud's though and having tried the 'keeping the core warm with an extra layer (3 instead of two) and body heat will flow down to the fingers' method, I can categorically state that does not work for me. Dripping with sweat and cold fingers was the result. My toes are marginally better. Just.