Cold hands.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
I've tried all sorts over the years and until now wasn't successful in keeping my hands warm whilst out on the bike on a cold winter's day. I've finally invested in a pair of lobster Sealskinz, bought from Cycle Surgery (although I'm sure there are other places just as cheap). At last - success. My hands are finally toastie warm. Maybe a little too warm, in fact. Can't comment yet about them being waterproof but rumour has it they are. I'll let you know. They take a bit of getting used to but at the end of my first ride with them I'd got the hang of them. Not cheap but if you suffer from cold hands then well worth the investment.

runner

Guru
I suffer from bad circulation in my hands and if the weather gets very cold (which is not often) then I am in pain. I have tried many gloves including heated (too bulky) and at present I carry with me some reusuable heat pads (poundland) and after being out in the cold for some 15mins (and my hands are getting numb)...I break the seal on the pads and stick down my gloves...it certainly helps. I have read that the lobster style glove with a good inner is well worth trying but my only problem with this combination is not being able to use the brakes effectively as I would with full finger gloves....for the moment I will stick with the cheap alternative...and look forward to the spring :smile:

Big John

Guru
Agreed - a bit of a malarky getting used to the general feel of them, especially on the levers. However, with the STI's I've got they seem to work OK and pulling on the brakes isn't an issue. I've been out when my hands have been so cold I could hardly pull on the levers but with these things on you really are warm. The guys I ride with wear the silk inners (motorbike inners?) as extra insulation and swear by them. For me the inners would be too warm.
It's a bit of a trade off, thinking about it. They're not as flexible as normal gloves but on the plus side cold hands now seem to be a thing of the past.