Cold showers and cold-water swimming, the benefits in terms of physical and mental health - what do we know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Yebbut, you've got to show these people who's top dog , or you'll just get walked all over.

They need you, more than you need them.

That kind of thing.. :rolleyes:
I’m playing the long game and compiling a dossier so I can claim some compo when it’s time to retire. I reckon I could get several pounds out of them.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tried this last night before bed. Didn't have the resolve to get straight into a cold shower so acclimatised myself with a hot one then dropped the temp when I was in it. Not a pleasant experience but novel to get the reflexive gasping of breath from the sudden temp drop. Did this in a couple of goes; dropping from hot to gaspy-cold, giving 30 seconds for my breathing to recover then repeating to a lower temp.

Definitely felt more alive / invigorated when I got out; not sure if it's something I could tolerate doing regularly though and assuming they achive similar I'd much rather go out for a ride, or a swim and a sauna / spell in the steam room.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Day 2 of the cold shower. This time I showered first thing, started hot and then 60 breaths in full cold. It is surprising how quickly you adjust to the sudden cold. Anyhow, felt very refreshed! Didn't die.

@mudsticks yes, must get my sorry arse out of bed and join the morning dippers. We've fallen into bad habits here watching crap on the telly late into the evenings with too many G&Ts and waking-up feeling like crap. So now bed by 10, up earlier again and back on the bike OR try a dip before work :-) Next week maybe...

Out of interest which is your nearest beach?

BrianUK

I've used a sauna before where you jump into a cold plunge pool afterwards! Takes your breath away but very refreshing! I'd recommend !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When I immerse myself in really cold water it is usually when something has gone wrong. Most of the time turning a boat upside down or falling off a board. I am partial to a river swim in summer and I paddle boats and boards throughout winter, however I have also had a full dunking whilst attempting to cycle through a slippery ford with a flat tyre. Cold showers for me occur when the rest of the family have emptied the tank and not turned the hot water back on.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Can I be the first to endorse this (I've been wanting to say it for years):

Get in the sea, Fabbers!

Awww but you don't mean it really do you ^_^

It's how you boys express affection for each other isn't it? Pretending to be mean :blush:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Day 2 of the cold shower. This time I showered first thing, started hot and then 60 breaths in full cold. It is surprising how quickly you adjust to the sudden cold. Anyhow, felt very refreshed! Didn't die.

@mudsticks yes, must get my sorry arse out of bed and join the morning dippers. We've fallen into bad habits here watching crap on the telly late into the evenings with too many G&Ts and waking-up feeling like crap. So now bed by 10, up earlier again and back on the bike OR try a dip before work :-) Next week maybe...

Out of interest which is your nearest beach?
All sounds very wholesome and invigorating..

But don't forsake all the poor gin producers tho.. They need our support in these hard times..

Sidmuff, tho I rarely swim there.
More usually Budlee, or Weston mouth.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Now and then....

...for the fans only....

Last edited:
Top Bottom