cold weather face protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkeylc

Über Member
Sorry to sound like an idiot but what's a Buff?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Scarf then?
Kinda, but stretchy and tubular, so you can wear it on lots of different ways, round your neck, ninja mask, balaclava, bandana etc. I got one last week, tried it today just round my neck and it was very comfy and warm :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A buff, and if you're southern or @fossyant some moisturiser :whistle:

:ninja:

I usually just use a buff around my neck, but really cold then I'll use two, one to cover as much of my face as possible.

If we have a prolonged cold spell, I usually suffer from very dry and red skin, so I'll use moisturiser a bit earlier this winter - don't usually bother until I realise its too late. Oh and windproof skull cap under the bin lid.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I was going to ask this question myself. I was thinking of a buff type solution but I have a nagging doubt. I lived in Russia for one year, and ever since I have taken to heart the advice that everyone there gave me: never wear a scarf over your nose, they said. The reasoning is that the water vapour can't escape from your nose, and you breath it back in - which can be very bad for you if it's really cold. I wonder whether this is just nonsense - but then again, the Russians are used to very cold winters, so maybe it isn't. So, I wonder whether a face mask that covers the top of the nose but not the nostrils would be a better solution. Something like this:

0104.JPG

What do you think?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A beard and a grimace!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Chilly weather = buff. the free ones from the mags are all I ever have or use
Proper cold (well into sub zero) = A Gore windstopper balaclava. £3 from a cycle jumble and the best money I've ever spent on cycling gear.
I'm growing a beard at the mo to see how that shapes up as an alternative to either of the above as my glasses get steamed up when I'm properly covered up.

buffs are my regular head cover and neckwear too
We all feel the cold differently , i only need a buff overr my lower face when it gets proper cold, - 5 or lower i would geuss otherwise i just use a buff as a hat .I find skull caps to warm and i have a collection thar came with jackets i have never used.

Muguruki

Slather on the Vasaline!
Haven't started yet but it won't be long. Looking at the forecast this weekend I may well be smearing my face with vasaline. when it gets colder I use more vasaline. If we are talking well below zero then the balaclava might come out.

Top Bottom