Cold Weather Riding (outside)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

packey3

Does anyone have any advice for cold weather riding. ex. what types of clothing would be good. I will ride today in Winchester,VA and it is currently 28 F or -2 C. This is not so bad but we also have 15-20 mph winds today. Any thoughts.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Layers. Merino wool base layers. Warm feet, hands and head.

Doobiesis

Über Member
I think it very much depends on how hot you get cycling.

I put long tights on and a top with sleeves and I’m warm enough.

What I would say is make sure you put shoe covers or toe covers over your shoes. Keep your feet nice and cosy.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A wicking layer against the skin to transport moisture away.
A wind proof layer to trap a layer of warm air against the torso and arms. I prefer wind proofs made from tight weaves. Wind stopper tends to be too sweaty and so you begin to chill
Mitts or mountaineering gloves. Mitts are warmer but you need to be able to operate your brakes and gears.
Thicker socks but do not have your cycling shoes so tight the blood flow is restricted.
On the legs I normally just wear tracksuit bottoms or stretchy trousers.
On the head a beanie or if you wear a helmet a buff or skull cap underneath.
A insulated cup of hot chocolate can also be a life saver if you get cold.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Two layers of everything!
I don't know if you are wearing cycling shoes, the ones with cleats, those are murder for keeping your feet warm, because of the holes in the soles: overshoes are needed, but the cold will still come through the bottom.
I get quite hot on the bike, you might need more than two layers.
Top layer, pick windproof items, waterproof never really is that anyway, also you get the boil in the bag effect.
Cold wind: a buff or two are indispensable, fleecy ones the best.
Fleecy cap under your helmet if you wear one, if not under your woolly hat, as long as one item covers the ears.
Gloves and socks: any that you feel warm in, you can get very thin gloves to put underneath windproof/waterproof ones.
Waterproof socks are great, they work, but they are not warm, I wear a thinner pair underneath in minus temperatures.
You can wear anything, does not need to be cycling specific, walking and running gear work fine.
Tbh, many times I've bought a cycling specific item, to find out that it has not been as warm or as comfy as the same item marketed for general outdoor use.

Definitely layers, and keep the extremities warm.

A fleece / windproof beanie under the helmet, buff for your neck and face, proper winter gloves (windproof, fleece-lined) and good shoes and socks (lightweight walking shoes and thermal socks work well).

Skiing base layers work a treat for cold weather cycling.

Make sure your outer layers are windproof at the very least.

Lots of thin layers, a thin balaclava, some Northwave Celsius boots, and a large dose of #5. There’s no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong kit

lane

Veteran
I have a merino top or two depending ho cold it is and a windproof top. Warm gloves and warm cycling boots. I find the hardest thing to keep warm is my feet.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I purchased my two merino tops in Aldi. They don't have to cost a fortune and are very good.
Decathlons are twice the price but more than twice as good IMO.

Three layers: base layer, probably a skiing one; heavy mid layer, for which I favor flannel cotton but others like fleece; and a windproof/waterproof outer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Have a look at the Uniqlo base layers. Their Heattec Ultra long johns and vests are fantastically warm and a lot less expensive than merino. For warm feet, get some synthetic loop-pile ski socks from eBay....£10 for five pairs or something.

Above all, try and avoid "technical" bollocks clothing for cyclists.:okay:

( and don't get me on the subject of Oakley "eyewear")

B&Q over here do cheap base layer stuff for building workers so presumably Home Depot would sell them stateside for contractors.

Do I get extra points for being bilingual!!

Top Bottom