Cold Weather Riding (outside)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by packey3, 10 Jan 2019.

1. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

There's a trophy waiting for the person who can used the words below, in a single sentence. You are allowed to put words in the sentence which don't appear below, but keep them to a minimum. Also, Rapha, onion and BBQ are compulsory. Sentences without those in will be excluded. Answers on a postcard please.

mitts, layering, base, windproof, heat sink, Huff Test, base layer, tracksuit, tight, ventilation, mesh, bamboo, merino, thermal, overshoes, technical/merino,VFM, softshell, varying thickness, neoprene, Rapha, freezer bags, windstopper, Unico, microfleece, balaclava,cotton, blood flow, stretchy, BBQ, plastic gloves, activity store, windshirt, waterproof socks, insulated, cup of coffee, beanie, iron filings,helmet, buff, tea bags, activate, tucking, synthetic, stinky, Merino, cap, fleecy, mountaineering, wool blends, wick, flannel, cross-country ski, underneath, Heatec, poly, longjohns, balaclava, extremity, liners, Thinsulate fleece, High Viz, vision, base layers, tights, wicking, sleeves, cosy toes, onions, synthetic, -2C.

Pat "5mph" and slow scot like this.
  2. OnTheRopes

OnTheRopes Regular

Why? Not everyone is on a tight budget and there is some good "technical" clothing out there, though I admit some of it is a bit off a rip off

3. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

No, the words technical, thermal, Merino and micro means squat.

4. OnTheRopes

OnTheRopes Regular

Get yourself some good base layers and a good jacket like the Castelli Alpha.
    A balaclava if its really cold or just a skull cap if the balaclava is too much.
    Have something that can cover your mouth.
    Get some good gloves and possibly liner gloves, if its sub zero then Lobster gloves are good for keeping the hands warm.
    Some good thermal bib tights either with pad or without pad but with shorts under.
    Overshoes are great but if your budget allows get some proper winter cycling shoes like Northwave xtreme, I have them and never get cold feet.
    https://northwave.com/en/p/extreme-rr-2-gtx/?v=116562

5. OnTheRopes

OnTheRopes Regular

Merino does not stink

6. icowden

icowden Well-Known Member

Personally I wear a warm jacket, a buff and my skull cap under my helmet.

My legs and arms never get cold (just red!) so I've never used tights or leggings.

My Endura dual layer cycling shorts keep the gentlemans particulars insulated (usually). I feel the cold most on the face and neck - hence the buff and skull cap combo. Tried woolen skull caps but they are too itchy for me. I have endura fluorescent gloves as well which keep the fingers warm, although you might want something better if you are cycling somewhere really cold.

7. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

When you're out in the cold and cycling along the road/trail, who's gonna smell you?

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  8. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

I extended my T-Shirt so it comes up to my lugs - just the ticket on a cold day
    ww4218.JPG

9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

The cycling groupies

mjr likes this.
  10. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I think @Yellow Saddle typed something like mitts, layering, base, windproof, heat sink, Huff Test, base layer, tracksuit, tight, ventilation, mesh, bamboo, merino, thermal, overshoes, technical/merino,VFM, softshell, varying thickness, neoprene, Rapha, freezer bags, windstopper, Unico, microfleece, balaclava,cotton, blood flow, stretchy, BBQ, plastic gloves, activity store, windshirt, waterproof socks, insulated, cup of coffee, beanie, iron filings,helmet, buff, tea bags, activate, tucking, synthetic, stinky, Merino, cap, fleecy, mountaineering, wool blends, wick, flannel, cross-country ski, underneath, Heatec, poly, longjohns, balaclava, extremity, liners, Thinsulate fleece, High Viz, vision, base layers, tights, wicking, sleeves, cosy toes, onions, synthetic, -2C.

Can I have a trophy please, or better still a Rapha swimming badge?

Dogtrousers, Pat "5mph" and mjr like this.
  11. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

But if you've got to be somewhere, studded tyres solve that OK.

Pat "5mph" and mudsticks like this.
  12. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I'm sure if I lived in Canada or somewhere I'd be doing that.

Here in the Mild Mild West we get snow one year in six, for maybe two days?

Think ill just be sensible.

13. 12boy

12boy Über Member

Army navy stores usually have wool felt shoeliners. Definitely oversized shoes so the liners and heavy wool socks fit. A loose fit which allows circulation is best for me. Finding the sweet spot between getting soaked with your own sweat and freezing throughout the ride is the goal.
    I'd consider 28 Fahrenheit to be fairly nice for January although with the wind mentioned I avoid any bare spots other than my face.

14. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Nay, let's keep it short: compressed spokes :tongue: :biggrin:

Yellow Saddle likes this.
  15. OnTheRopes

OnTheRopes Regular

Well believe it or not we don't all cycle alone, some of us even call in at cafe's and I am just stating a fact about Merino you are free to ignore it

mjr likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice