Cold Weather Riding (outside)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a trophy waiting for the person who can used the words below, in a single sentence. You are allowed to put words in the sentence which don't appear below, but keep them to a minimum. Also, Rapha, onion and BBQ are compulsory. Sentences without those in will be excluded. Answers on a postcard please.

mitts, layering, base, windproof, heat sink, Huff Test, base layer, tracksuit, tight, ventilation, mesh, bamboo, merino, thermal, overshoes, technical/merino,VFM, softshell, varying thickness, neoprene, Rapha, freezer bags, windstopper, Unico, microfleece, balaclava,cotton, blood flow, stretchy, BBQ, plastic gloves, activity store, windshirt, waterproof socks, insulated, cup of coffee, beanie, iron filings,helmet, buff, tea bags, activate, tucking, synthetic, stinky, Merino, cap, fleecy, mountaineering, wool blends, wick, flannel, cross-country ski, underneath, Heatec, poly, longjohns, balaclava, extremity, liners, Thinsulate fleece, High Viz, vision, base layers, tights, wicking, sleeves, cosy toes, onions, synthetic, -2C.

OnTheRopes

Regular
Above all, try and avoid "technical" bollocks clothing for cyclists.:okay:

( and don't get me on the subject of Oakley "eyewear")
Why? Not everyone is on a tight budget and there is some good "technical" clothing out there, though I admit some of it is a bit off a rip off

OnTheRopes

Regular
Get yourself some good base layers and a good jacket like the Castelli Alpha.
A balaclava if its really cold or just a skull cap if the balaclava is too much.
Have something that can cover your mouth.
Get some good gloves and possibly liner gloves, if its sub zero then Lobster gloves are good for keeping the hands warm.
Some good thermal bib tights either with pad or without pad but with shorts under.
Overshoes are great but if your budget allows get some proper winter cycling shoes like Northwave xtreme, I have them and never get cold feet.
https://northwave.com/en/p/extreme-rr-2-gtx/?v=116562

icowden

Veteran
Personally I wear a warm jacket, a buff and my skull cap under my helmet.

My legs and arms never get cold (just red!) so I've never used tights or leggings.

My Endura dual layer cycling shorts keep the gentlemans particulars insulated (usually). I feel the cold most on the face and neck - hence the buff and skull cap combo. Tried woolen skull caps but they are too itchy for me. I have endura fluorescent gloves as well which keep the fingers warm, although you might want something better if you are cycling somewhere really cold.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
There's a trophy waiting for the person who can used the words below, in a single sentence. You are allowed to put words in the sentence which don't appear below, but keep them to a minimum. Also, Rapha, onion and BBQ are compulsory. Sentences without those in will be excluded. Answers on a postcard please.

mitts, layering, base, windproof, heat sink, Huff Test, base layer, tracksuit, tight, ventilation, mesh, bamboo, merino, thermal, overshoes, technical/merino,VFM, softshell, varying thickness, neoprene, Rapha, freezer bags, windstopper, Unico, microfleece, balaclava,cotton, blood flow, stretchy, BBQ, plastic gloves, activity store, windshirt, waterproof socks, insulated, cup of coffee, beanie, iron filings,helmet, buff, tea bags, activate, tucking, synthetic, stinky, Merino, cap, fleecy, mountaineering, wool blends, wick, flannel, cross-country ski, underneath, Heatec, poly, longjohns, balaclava, extremity, liners, Thinsulate fleece, High Viz, vision, base layers, tights, wicking, sleeves, cosy toes, onions, synthetic, -2C.

I think @Yellow Saddle typed something like mitts, layering, base, windproof, heat sink, Huff Test, base layer, tracksuit, tight, ventilation, mesh, bamboo, merino, thermal, overshoes, technical/merino,VFM, softshell, varying thickness, neoprene, Rapha, freezer bags, windstopper, Unico, microfleece, balaclava,cotton, blood flow, stretchy, BBQ, plastic gloves, activity store, windshirt, waterproof socks, insulated, cup of coffee, beanie, iron filings,helmet, buff, tea bags, activate, tucking, synthetic, stinky, Merino, cap, fleecy, mountaineering, wool blends, wick, flannel, cross-country ski, underneath, Heatec, poly, longjohns, balaclava, extremity, liners, Thinsulate fleece, High Viz, vision, base layers, tights, wicking, sleeves, cosy toes, onions, synthetic, -2C.

Can I have a trophy please, or better still a Rapha swimming badge?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes I had a moment of madness a few years back, thinking cycling on snowy roads, but staying in the tyre tracks would be OK - with standard hybrid tyres. Dohh
Didn't manage to break myself quite as badly at that, but I don't think my knee has ever truly forgiven me .

Sometimes - not riding is the best option.
But if you've got to be somewhere, studded tyres solve that OK.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But if you've got to be somewhere, studded tyres solve that OK.

I'm sure if I lived in Canada or somewhere I'd be doing that.

Here in the Mild Mild West we get snow one year in six, for maybe two days?

Think ill just be sensible.

12boy

Guru
Non cycling clothing is often better in v cold conditions. Layering up rear pockets can get uncomfortable and they are not usable.
Jersies with a high zipped neck are good.
With a decent base and windproof outer layer you can fill midlayers with anything. I like a few thin woollen sweaters.
If I am doing big hills on a cold day I often remove a sweaty base layer at the top, pref replace with dry one.
My test for winter windproof is the Huff Test. Try and huff some breath through the material. If it goes through with little resistance it is for mild weather use. If you cant huff through at all it will be too clammy. You can use two thin windproofs to good effect.
Winter footwear should be larger size and without ventilation.
Clipless pedal cleats are a metal heat sinks inside your shoes. Insulate with eg cork insoles.

Wool socks are recommended. My sock of choice are Norwegian army wool ones, purchased from the Salvation Army in Stavanger. I don't think they are standard issue to the Norwegian Salvation Army but the regular Non-Salvation Army know their socks.

Army navy stores usually have wool felt shoeliners. Definitely oversized shoes so the liners and heavy wool socks fit. A loose fit which allows circulation is best for me. Finding the sweet spot between getting soaked with your own sweat and freezing throughout the ride is the goal.
I'd consider 28 Fahrenheit to be fairly nice for January although with the wind mentioned I avoid any bare spots other than my face.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Dear OP. You must be awfully confused by now. Merino this, base-layer that, over-what and under-that. It is mighty confusing and very technical.
I suggest you just wear warm stuff. Happy riding.

Nay, let's keep it short: compressed spokes :tongue: :biggrin:

OnTheRopes

Regular
Personally I wear a warm jacket, a buff and my skull cap under my helmet.

My legs and arms never get cold (just red!) so I've never used tights or leggings.

My Endura dual layer cycling shorts keep the gentlemans particulars insulated (usually). I feel the cold most on the face and neck - hence the buff and skull cap combo. Tried woolen skull caps but they are too itchy for me. I have endura fluorescent gloves as well which keep the fingers warm, although you might want something better if you are cycling somewhere really cold.
I really don't think exposed knees in really cold weather is a good idea since tendons do not receive direct blood supply like muscle tissue, the body cannot regulate their temperature as well. Like most elastic tissue, when it is colder, it loses elasticity, becoming more vulnerable to tearing at higher force

Top Bottom