Cold Weather Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru

Alex321

Veteran
Meteorologically, the uk winter started on the 1st December.

"However, at the Met Office, we often use a meteorological definition of the seasons. By the meteorological calendar, the first day of winter is always 1 December; ending on 28 (or 29 during a Leap Year) February."

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/seasons/winter/when-does-winter-start

Oops. Yes, it is the Astronomical one that starts on the Solstice, not the Meteorological one. Duh!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It was Minus 7 on my 20km commute this morning. My internal radiator usually comes on after 10 minutes. Today it was more like 15 minutes. It took 1 hour and 8 minutes to get to work and apart from the ends of my toes and fingers, I was plenty warm enough. But 20km is far enough and then its time for a Coffee break.

hoopdriver

Guru
You were lucky

We had to cross glaciers we did. Sometimes we had to sleep in a crevasse before climbing out with our bare hands dragging our bikes up behind us. It were so cold we’d get frostbite most days. Aye we didn’t have gloves and all these modern comforts. That’s just the way it was. But tell the youngsters that these days.
You were lucky

We didn’t even have bicycles! All we had were icicles!!!!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As others say it’s whether the roads are dry not temps that often is the clincher. You can have very dry cold roads with no ice or black ice. As for not being able to see black ice, that’s not strictly true but depends on conditions. It can certainly be seen at night with Dynamo lights on.

Dale 1956

Now that I have hydraulic brakes I want ride until it hits 41 degrees lol It gets way to cold here in Maine to ride in the winter the lows gets to -40 degrees with lots of ice and snow if I had my Big Dummy bicycle again with BB7s on it I would give it my best that bicycle was a one of a kind for me it was way to much fun to ride and the looks I got on it was fun too.It had very low gearing on it could go up any hill fully loaded with food and stuff on it.You really did not need a car at all with that bicycle it was a do all bike.

Cerdic

Remember kids, there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Some photos from riding last winter. This was on my ”winter” winter tyres rather than my current winter tyres which are more about puncture protection.

354F6274-A0ED-4D62-B6C7-796730DE5A89.jpeg

535C6A8C-D038-4FD0-A16F-7B8C5F497A45.jpeg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
-2° according to the bike thermometer when I came out the pub tonight.
It didn't help that I'd failed to bring my gloves, so the interval between about 1 mile and 3 miles was uncomfortable. After that I'd got warmed up, and it wasn't so bad.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I cycled “around the world” at the South Pole once - doing a loop of the pole itself takes you through every line of longitude - and it’s was about minus-50.
Where I was, the tradition was the midwinter streak.
Starkers (except for footwear) around the base (something like 250 - 300 m) on midwinter's day. About -40°, iirc

gzoom

Über Member
Quite a timely topic, I was all ready to go to work on the bike today, but taking out the trash first thing reminded me how cold 0 degrees feel like even without windchill.......So despite no ice on the roads, plenty to winter gear (including heated gloves), I choose a different way to get to work.

Still got to enjoy the lovely sun rise, empty roads, but with warm bum/steering wheel and singing along to Mariah Carey......I'll make up for it with commuting on the bike rest of the week (maybe) :laugh:.

51764779865_72db3d0e1f_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom