Cold, wet, sweat and windchill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
It's not 100% waterproof, but good enough for any but the most torrential downpour.

That's the problem here. We have what I like to call "Spanish rain". It starts out not raining at all, then it starts to spit a bit, and if you're lucky you have a few minutes to find shelter. Then it's like someone's thrown a bucket of water over you. I was caught in it for 5 minutes the other day, got in and stood in front of the washing machine to strip my clothes off and put them straight in it. After I'd had my bath, I went back to the kitchen to clean up and my partner was standing there saying, "I think the washing machine's leaking." I said it had come off me, but she didn't believe it until the next wash we did was fine.

The rain is like getting under a cold shower or jumping straight into a cold swimming pool. You're gasping for air for a while because it's so sudden, it totally shocks your system. I have known rain like it in the UK, but it's unusual - it's the kind of rain where everyone lurks just inside the supermarket, waiting for it to ease up so they can make a dash for their cars - here, it's normal.

I know there are some waterproofs that can tackle rain that heavy - waxed jackets come to mind! - but I'm not sure how effective regular cycling waterproofs will be, which is another reason why I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money on something.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Having lived in the tropics I sort of know the kind of rain you are referring to....although there it is warm.

In heavy rain I've been reasonably impressed with the Tenn Vapor jacket. It is, as far as I can tell, 100% waterproof (difficult to be absolutely sure because when you are riding through serious rain some water is going to be seeping down the neck hole ). Somewhat breathable too.
Not sure I'd pay the full £70 RRP but it's often to be had for half that - at which rate it's definitely VFM

Christopher

Über Member
Some dry backup clothes in a dry bag? I do this when walking in the Lakes. May not be practicable when biking though...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've yet to find a waterproof that properly breathable. I don't think you can have both qualities in the same jacket. I too find layering good. The base layers do the job of taking the sweat away from the skin

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
at the moment Im riding with two compression base layers and a cycke shirt..arm warmers and carrying a waterproof jacket wrapped around my waist until the hyperhtermia sets in. Also thin gloves inside thicker ones and a bayern munich wooly hat.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've found a big difference in types of base layers:
I have a SS and LS merino (PlanetX 'specials') and a non-woolly one. IME, the advantage of wool is that you remain warm even if the wool is wet, which is not necessarily the case with other technical fibres, which wick away the sweat - but to where ? :unsure:

I know the Oz and NZ sheep-shearers wear woolly vests for this reason ... :ohmy:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think it helps to separate two things: keeping warm and keeping dry. The former is more important.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I think it helps to separate two things: keeping warm and keeping dry. The former is more important.

That was what I always thought (and was always able to do), but it hasn't worked for me recently. It probably doesn't help that I don't have much in the way of natural insulation.

Top Bottom