Cold, wet, sweat and windchill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I've never been a great fan of waterproof jackets because they make me sweat (although I did have an oversize one that covered me and my - non-waterproof - rucksack for commuting, and it was ideal).

However, my last couple of rides in torrential rain in my windproof jacket have left me so chilled that it's about all I can do when I get home to fumble with the taps to run a warming bath. I've been so cold that I don't even realise how cold I am, and can't even think straight - my partner tells me I've come in talking even more nonsense than usual - and while I'm out on the bike, I think the cold is bearable and I'm doing fine, which I'm obviously not.

Does anyone else get this problem, and how do you deal with it?

I've always been a believer in just getting wet and keeping going because my skin's waterproof, but that doesn't seem to be working for me now. I know there's "no such thing as the wrong weather - just the wrong clothes" but I really haven't got a clue what I should be wearing to keep warm and protected against windchill, and not be soaked with water or sweat.

Omniscient

I know exactly where you're coming from! I bought a cheap little windproof muddyfox jacket from where I work; it turns out I should never buy cheap gear for the winter. I have exactly the same problem with sweating a lot with the jacket on; normally, I just carry a spare top(work top) and a riding top. With your cold problem, get a flask and every now and again, stop and have a sip of hot chocolate. Hmm, chocolate.

ianjmcd

Über Member
start with a decent base layer that allows the sweat to wick away unless its -1 or below you will get away with a thick cycling jersey over the base layer and carry a waterproof shell in one of the back pockets for the downpours

as it gets colder you may want a thicker windproof/waterproof jacket though

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I can only recommend a layering system with a good breathable but waterproof jacket- I feel the cold easily so do layers religiously and tend to wear more in the winter months. I've found Gore jackets are costly but brilliant. I find it allows sweat to dissipate but keeps me warm and dry unless it really is pissing it down

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Base layers should be skin-tight to wick sweat effectively. A water-proof gillet may help keep your core temperature up without reducing you to a sweat-bath.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Winter, it's a base, windproof top and a cheap race cape. Bit boil in bag, but never have any issue with cold, especially if raining and cold. A few of us were using race capes on the CC Jodrell run earlier this year in freezing and heavy rain conditions - wasn't a problem - we weren't talking mega expensive ones - Decathlon and Aldi !

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Thanks for the advice, guys. I was wondering if dry weather clothes with a cheap waterproof to put on over the top when it starts to rain would be the best way forward.

I'm going to get some Helly Hansen LIFA Dry baselayers because I tried them before in Cornwall (actually my partner's, but I borrowed them for a couple of rare sub-zero commutes) and got on really well with them. My partner's are now 4 years old, have been worn practically every day through 2 winters, and they're still like new, so they're definitely good value for money. With those under my trusty Ronhill running gear, I should be plenty warm enough on most days, and I can get a warmer gilet to keep my core temperature up on chilly days (I already have a lightweight windproof gilet, but I don't think it's warm enough for going into the mountains in January).

Winter, it's a base, windproof top and a cheap race cape. Bit boil in bag, but never have any issue with cold, especially if raining and cold. A few of us were using race capes on the CC Jodrell run earlier this year in freezing and heavy rain conditions - wasn't a problem - we weren't talking mega expensive ones - Decathlon and Aldi !

Does this jacket seem reasonable? I'm not bothered about my legs getting wet. so I don't think I need the extra length of the cape.

I also need to look for some gloves and socks. I've already got some wool socks that I got from Lidl years ago (and still going strong) that keep my feet lovely and warm when it's dry, but they don't do much when they're soaked through. I was wondering about Sealskinz socks? (Because I ride with flat pedals and trainers - and don't plan to change that - waterproof overshoes aren't an option.)

Same for gloves. Wear a pair of normal gloves, but carry a pair of waterproof ones that I can put on if it starts to rain? Does anyone do waterproof gloves that aren't too thick and bulky?

Apart from being at the time of life when women generally suffer from hot flushes, I'm also borderline Reynaud's, so I tend to swing between very hot and very cold very fast, which makes choosing what to wear quite difficult even when it isn't raining!

Norm

Waterproof gilet, windproof top, tight wicking base, I've never needed more.

I do have a waterproof jacket I can't wear it for much more than 5 miles before I drown in my own sweat.

Gore Bike-wear gloves or Altura Night Visions but be aware that any glove is only as waterproof as the seal between the cuff and your wrist, so you'll struggle to keep your hands dry without long waterproof sleeves.

Sealskinz socks but watch the fit - try some on if you can - and you will again struggle to stay dry because the water will run down your legs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does this jacket seem reasonable? I'm not bothered about my legs getting wet. so I don't think I need the extra length of the cape.

That's the ones. I use one for commuting, and have one for weekends. The commuting one has oil on it ! These are commonly called 'race capes' and this is the thing I use. They pack up small too, but not untra small like a Montane Featherweight !

GrasB

Veteran
If you're doing the 'you're going to get wet' thing you need to make sure your wind-proofs are wind-proof when wet, a lot aren't. At 0-5C & wet I'll be wearing a compression top, open weave fabric base layer, wind-proof base layer, bib of thermal bib-tights, jersey & wind-proof jacket. Both of those wind-proof layers are proven wind-proof when wet.

VamP

Banned
This works really well. On a recent 8 hour ride with constant rain, it didn't keep me dry, but it did keep me warm. Obviously you need to combine with good technical layers, but I think you know that.

The added bonus of it being see thru is that if you need to ever put it on during a race, your number remains visible.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Defintely in the windproof jacket that stays windproof when wet (mine is just wet resistant) keeping the wind out matters a lot more when its raining as no matter what you wear nothing stays waterproof long enough to warrant the boil in the bag. I bought mine last year £149 Gore Cosmo Windstopper commuted all through the winter and never wore or needed a waterproof. one of my best buys and still looks like new this year

PpPete

Legendary Member
I used to be a big fan of a 3 layer system:
Base layer (HH LIFA is good, but a summer weight jersey is not bad either)
Mid layer (classically a thin fleece or heavyweight jersey) - with maybe a very thin semi-windproof gilet, although if not too cold my cheapie Aldi windproof served as well.
Outer waterproof layer (as breathable, and therefore as expensive as you can afford)

Earlier this year though I got a Gore Phantom jacket.
On it's own, over a summer jersey, good from 10°C down to 0°C.
if it gets too warm, the sleeves zip off.
It's not 100% waterproof, but good enough for any but the most torrential downpour.
It wasnt cheap, but so good that it fulfils the functions of three garments that preceded it

Top Bottom