England : Lancashire ColinJ's 103 km or 107 mile 'Back from the Dead' forum ride Sat 29/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I am VERY disappointed in you Daniel. Nev' mind, bit of MTB'ing at Clayton Vale one day?

Col, I downloaded the gpx files, can't use them in my mapping software but I have printed out the route. It is fairly straightforward, esp last bit from Longridge. Will sort it. Works GPS works but is hungry for batteries.

Daniel! Blimey.

I'm blaming the physio. Walking like ive just rode back from the Gobi on a pregnant camel.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Updated list of people who might do the ride, including most recent dropouts and potential dropins:
  • ColinJ + pal Bill (for first half)
  • Accy cyclist
  • Pennine-Paul
  • potsy
  • MartinQ
  • coffeejo
  • Christopher
  • dan_bo
  • middleagecyclist
  • Mickthemove
  • Martin Archer
  • SatNavSaysStraightOn + OH
  • smokeysmoo
  • pubrunner + 3 mates
  • Alun
  • skudupnorth
  • Steve H
  • colly
  • tubbycyclist
  • Stu Smith
  • Biscuit
  • phil_hg_uk
  • oiljam
  • Littgull
  • Rickshaw Phil
  • Maverick Goose
  • hopless500 + Mr. Hop
  • Svendo
  • thegreenman
  • Pjays666
  • nickyboy
  • robjh
  • Peter T
  • YellowTim
  • oldfatfool
  • totallyfixed and dr_pink
  • kiwi-Sal
  • Kbrook
  • bromptonfb (to say hi at start, but then go home to bed after long night shift?)
  • italiafirenze (as far as Glasson Dock)
  • MikeW-71
  • Hill Wimp
  • STASS (SlowerThanASluggishSloth)
  • (Subject to minimal hangover from works do!) Globalti + (maybe) his son
That is still potentially about 40 riders, but I'm sure a few won't make it for one reason or another. Still, we should get 25-35 which will be the biggest turnout for one of my rides yet! :bravo:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I fixed my bike a week and a half ago and I am still waiting for it to stop raining so I can test it to make sure it is ok before the ride :ohmy:
We have had a few nice half days here. A bit windy, but dry. The forecast for tomorrow is for a rare tailwind on the Cragg Vale climb so I am going to ride up there to make the most of it! (I won't time myself though, because I would consider a PB earned that way to be 'cheating'.)

I have decided to be sensible and just do the main loop from Spring Wood. I did pretty well on my 48 mile ride yesterday, but I definitely did not have another 59 miles in my legs! :thumbsup: I therefore officially hand over the HB-SW and SW-HB rides to @tubbycyclist, for those of you intending to do the extra. He is still waiting to hear from those of you doing the 107-miler, so let him know ASAP!

I still haven't decided which bike to ride. My Cannondale has not had its gearing lowered yet so it would be tough at the top of the Trough, and on that short ramp after Ribchester, but it would be ideal for most of the route. If it is wet, I will definitely ride my Basso.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Wot no @pubrunner? And I thought we'd be getting some of the old Wales ride team together... oh well, another time.

I'm still hoping to start from Hebden Bridge but am still sorting the details, and keeping an eye on the weather.
I got a PM from him saying that he was sorry, but he now can't make it. I'm sure he will come up for another one. I told him that I hope to organise a good mid-summer ride, subject to having a proper summer!

tubbycyclist

I have decided to be sensible and just do the main loop from Spring Wood. I therefore officially hand over the HB-SW and SW-HB rides to @tubbycyclist, for those of you intending to do the extra. He is still waiting to hear from those of you doing the 107-miler, so let him know ASAP!

@ColinJ . I think you are right - makes sense not to overdo it. I will definitely be in the designated car park spot from 7.45am, and will leave at 8am. I suspect only a stupid select few will do the extra. Depending on how heavy the traffic is around Padiham on Saturday morning then may switch the route to the main road - don't want to miss the peloton and may even be able to get a brew/bacon butty if we have no mechanicals and I don't have wooden legs ^_^.

@ColinJ . I think you are right - makes sense not to overdo it. I will definitely be in the designated car park spot from 7.45am, and will leave at 8am. I suspect only a stupid select few will do the extra. Depending on how heavy the traffic is around Padiham on Saturday morning then may switch the route to the main road - don't want to miss the peloton and may even be able to get a brew/bacon butty if we have no mechanicals and I don't have wooden legs ^_^.
Mr Hop will be on the 7.45 start :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I read that the Vic is under new management but I don't know any of the establishments in the area! TBH, I think pubrunner is more interested in Guiness at the pub than food ... :thumbsup:

I am not really bothered exactly what food I eat on rides as long as I get enough energy from something or other to keep me going!
There's also the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse if you fancy something fishy.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

There's also the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse if you fancy something fishy.
I fancy some smoked fish to eat at home, but I am not going to lug any about on a ride! :thumbsup:

Mr Hop will be on the 7.45 start :smile:
There is a good chance that Steve H and I will pass tc, Mr Hop, and any other 100+ milers, somewhere on the fringes of Burnley. If that is the case, I will feel duty bound to lean out of the window as we go by and utter words of encouragement! :hello:

Weather update: It's currently looking mild, windy and dry for Saturday. It's an easterly wind though, so it will have a significant chill factor which will be more noticeable on the way back.

Weather update: It's currently looking mild, windy and dry for Saturday. It's an easterly wind though, so it will have a significant chill factor which will be more noticeable on the way back.
Looks as though dr_p will be bringing her best bike then. Oh dear.
At the moment my bike is in bits awaiting delivery of a few parts, paid the extra for next day delivery, got tracking details and all the post office will say is that it is going to be between 0631 and 1730 today, very helpful. I am not hopeful.

Top Bottom