England : Lancashire ColinJ's 103 km or 107 mile 'Back from the Dead' forum ride Sat 29/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
I'm with Quentin Crisp on cleaning: "Why bother? You'll just have to do it again". I should be riding a battered red Planet-X & with an orange jacket. I look forward to lowering the tone.

potsy

Rambler
A dirty bike is extra weight to carry up the Trough, plus a clean bike always seems to go quicker.
That explaina a lot :whistle:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm currently sans front mudguard (or at least the Orbea is) so my apologies in advance to my chainset and anyone near me in the event of a puddle.

Bike is about to be cleaned following today's ride and the slurry-spreading tractors we encountered... Given my previous statement, I should probably clean my shoes as well.........

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A dry day should see a good turnout. Hope the cafe is well stocked. - Just salad for me of course :tongue:
I have tried phoning the cafe 3 times, but they have not yet answered the phone. Hopefully, that is because they were busy with throngs of customers, as opposed to having closed down due to lack of them ... :whistle: I will try again in the morning.
Bike is about to be cleaned following today's ride and the slurry-spreading tractors we encountered... Given my previous statement, I should probably clean my shoes as well.........
Blimey I didnt know this was the posh ride :ohmy:
I'll have you know that I shaved this afternoon, to be ready for the ride. This is so my designer stubble is the optimum length on Saturday. (Freshly-shaved = sensitive baby face, leading to shivering in the wind; too long since shaving = Father Christmas-like grey beard!)

I am not only going to clean my bike, but I am also going to be wearing freshly-laundered cycling kit!

I really want to ride my Cannondale. It doesn't have mudguards and I don't like to get it filthy, so if the weather lets us down at the last minute I will switch to my Basso, otherwise I will be wrestling with the 'dale's bottom gear at the top of the Trough, and on the steep little climb after Ribchester. I need a light bike for the race against potsy up the final climb of the day, Le Col de Spring Wood! :laugh:

Blimey I didnt know this was the posh ride :ohmy:
As per your avatar, so in Lancashire [not really]
I have tried phoning the cafe 3 times, but they have not yet answered the phone. Hopefully, that is because they were busy with throngs of customers, as opposed to having closed down due to lack of them ... :whistle: I will try again in the morning.

I'll have you know that I shaved this afternoon, to be ready for the ride. This is so my designer stubble is the optimum length on Saturday. (Freshly-shaved = sensitive baby face, leading to shivering in the wind; too long since shaving = Father Christmas-like grey beard!)

I am not only going to clean my bike, but I am also going to be wearing freshly-laundered cycling kit!

I really want to ride my Cannondale. It doesn't have mudguards and I don't like to get it filthy, so if the weather lets us down at the last minute I will switch to my Basso, otherwise I will be wrestling with the 'dale's bottom gear at the top of the Trough, and on the steep little climb after Ribchester. I need a light bike for the race against potsy up the final climb of the day, Le Col de Spring Wood! :laugh:
:hyper:

tubbycyclist

Do we know how many people are likely to be starting from HB? ( I know this question has been asked before!)

I'm toying with staying at this camping barn at Trawden and riding to Whalley from there, or else bring the van and stay at the Hebden Bridge Camping at Blackshaw Head and go with the others from HB.
I suspect there will only be 4/5 of us on the way out. Most names have been for a Whalley start. What ever you decide you will have some good climbing back to your accommodation - neither of them are in the valley. If you decide to ride from Trawden the best way is probably along these minor roads - a bit more climbing but mostly a ride along a ridge with great views of Pendle Hill, and much better than the intimidating main road from Barrowford to Padiham.

robjh

Legendary Member
I suspect there will only be 4/5 of us on the way out. Most names have been for a Whalley start. What ever you decide you will have some good climbing back to your accommodation - neither of them are in the valley. If you decide to ride from Trawden the best way is probably along these minor roads - a bit more climbing but mostly a ride along a ridge with great views of Pendle Hill, and much better than the intimidating main road from Barrowford to Padiham.
Thanks for the tip.
Are you going along the A646 from HB ? The Long Causeway looked like a good route but I guess rather hillier.

tubbycyclist

:stop:I hope your going up Cliviger,I don't fancy going up Mythom steeps on a fixed gear!

For the avoidance of doubt - the Long Causeway and Mytholm Steeps will not be featuring in the route from Hebden Bridge. Although they are fine climbs and roads they are best left for a time when you are not clock watching, and have time to gasp, sweat or walk.
Definitely the valley road and much easier route through Cliviger.

You definitely have Mr Hop starting from HB - he asked me to double confirm that for you :thumbsup:

Top Bottom