Collecting a SNCF train ticket when your credit card has changed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I ordered a SNCF train ticket, as part of my upcoming Italy / France trip, but since then my credit card has changed, as I had to dispute a transaction on the previous one, so got issued with another. According to the SNCF web site, to collect the ticket, I need to use the card that I paid for the ticket with.
Do they allow for card replacements, or do I need to contact someone about this?

Regards & thanks,
--- Victor.

classic33

Leg End Member
Same bank?

Usually when they say card they mean the one linked to the account used. Not the actual card, they get changed every few years as a matter of course.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Same bank?

Usually when they say card they mean the one linked to the account used. Not the actual card, they get changed every few years as a matter of course.
Yes, same bank, just a new card. I sent SNCF an email via their web page, but don't know how long they'll take to reply.

Rapples

Guru
Damn. :angry: So I may have to consider booking again using the new card, then try to get a refund on the old ticket?
How long ago did you book it?

Your contract is with cc company, ask them for the refund as the transaction is no longer valid

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
How long ago did you book it?

Your contract is with cc company, ask them for the refund as the transaction is no longer valid
That's what got me into this situation to start with: after ordering the train ticket (I placed the order in February), I disputed a transaction with my bank, and they cancelled the card and issued me a new one (apparently part of their standard transaction dispute process). I don't want to do that again, particularly since I'm flying to Europe in 7 days. I might be better off just ordering the train ticket again, and then try to get a refund on the one one later on.

Rapples

Guru
Probably wise. I think you may be out of time anyway. Is it a credit or debit the rules are different.

It might be worth asking in either case if you have no joy with SNCF.

I can't open the link btw.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4842914, member: 259"]I think it would be wise too. SNCF are notoriously bureaucratic and they tend to stick to the letter of any rules as I've learned to my cost.[/QUOTE]
Yes. It does occasionally have benefits, such as it being almost painless getting timed tickets opened for minor delays on the first service (whereas some UK train staff will argue that they expect to make up the time - which rarely happens IME - so you need to wait until your interchange station and then queue up at an information office that may not even be open, just to make sure that you miss the connection they placed at risk), but it more often works against you. Good luck!

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Oh well, I live and learn. :rolleyes: SNCF replied to my email and confirmed that I need to cancel the existing booking and make another. They did mention, however, that if I had my old credit card I could still have collected the ticket using it. The only problem is: I destroyed that card a few months ago, once I confirmed the new one worked. :laugh:
I just made another booking, same date and times, and will try to cancel the other one now.

Thanks for the help, all: as usual, CycleChat has been very helpful. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh well, I live and learn. :rolleyes: SNCF replied to my email and confirmed that I need to cancel the existing booking and make another. They did mention, however, that if I had my old credit card I could still have collected the ticket using it. The only problem is: I destroyed that card a few months ago, once I confirmed the new one worked. :laugh:
I just made another booking, same date and times, and will try to cancel the other one now.

Thanks for the help, all: as usual CycleChat has been very helpful. :okay:
Didn't mention the old card as I assumed the bank might have asked for it to be returned due to the disputed transaction.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just filled in the online claim form for a refund on the first ticket purchase, which was a bit tricky, given that the online claim form pages are all in French. Even though the main SNCF page can be viewed in English via a drop-down list at the top right of the page, the claim form pages can't be viewed like this. I just had to run it through Google Translate a few times (although I am getting slowly better at understanding the overall meaning of French sentences, since I can recognise more words now).

Top Bottom