Collecting instead of delivery on Ebay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

It's pretty typical scam to pay by PayPal and then say you never received it. Cash on collection is the only way. Neither side looses but the seller doesn't pay PayPal fees. Not a lot anyway but no point in paying PayPal if you don't have to.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I have bought stuff, a car, on Ebay paying before collection by Paypal then collecting it in person. Seller wanted me to pay cash but I declined. I never started a dispute for a refund as the car was exactly as what was described very low mileage in amazing condition and at a bargain price when the auction ended.

See, I had a problem with this when I sold my car. Tried to insist on paypal, but the first buyer refused, saying that I could keep his money and do a runner with it. I didnt like him anyway, as he was trying to haggle me down after winning the bid and he hadn't even seen the car at that point, but when I told him that paypal was the most secure option for him, he told me that this does not apply to car purchases. Turns out he was right. Car purchases and some other high value / complicated purchases are not paypal protected. Sold it for cash in the end, to someone else and via ebay. I've never had a problem with either method of payment though, but you can get scammed for cash as well, with dodgy notes. Ideal situation for both is probably a deposit through paypal, an inspection so that everyones happy and then cash to complete the transaction. I've never managed ideal though. Nobody has the time.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Just had a thought... we have CCTV over the doors so it will show them leaving with the items!

Oh and gumtree is owned by ebay. Tried gumtree and it wouldnt work for me. Wouldnt send out the emails or allow me to access them via the site, I might try it again when ready.

brand

What help would the camera be. PayPal will ask you to prove the person on film is the person who conned you. The police would have almost no interest at all unless it was a very expensive item and would still doubt they would get involved. Cash on collection only. Note con merchants are not likely to be interested in what you are selling unless the paddle thingy is valuable? The bed may not even sell if not and you want to get rid give it away on freecycle.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A way to avoid dodgy notes is to take the buyer to your bank and pay the money in to your account.

Once the cashier has given you (these days) the little printed paying in receipt, you are about as safe as you can be.

A bit of faff, but worth it for a high value item.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
What help would the camera be. PayPal will ask you to prove the person on film is the person who conned you. The police would have almost no interest at all unless it was a very expensive item and would still doubt they would get involved. Cash on collection only. Note con merchants are not likely to be interested in what you are selling unless the paddle thingy is valuable? The bed may not even sell if not and you want to get rid give it away on freecycle.

You make it sound as if everyone is out to get us?

Equally, what if the money is fake? What if they put in a dispute that they turned up paid the cash over and you slammed the door. I'm starting to think there is no security even with cash and that I'll just play it by ear....

brand

Counterfeit money is serious criminal offence as I said are your goods going to fetch that much that is worth pulling the PayPal con or using counterfeit money.
What if they put in a dispute that they turned up paid the cash over and you slammed the door
and what would eBay do? Give them back their money?Where would they get it from? Or would they go to PayPal and ask them to give back the money they never paid via PayPal?

brand

A way to avoid dodgy notes is to take the buyer to your bank and pay the money in to your account.

Once the cashier has given you (these days) the little printed paying in receipt, you are about as safe as you can be.

A bit of faff, but worth it for a high value item.
And only a high value item. Don't think his auctions are worth anyone conning him.

Crankarm

Guru
And only a high value item. Don't think his auctions are worth anyone conning him.

Indeed - an old single bed with stains on it probably and a sit on a faded paddle boat .But you never know ……….. Crime of the millennium :laugh:.

If the OP is so worried about being conned or his parents being conned why not just leave the items out front of the house on the pavement and they will be gone the next day. Of course the items might not even sell on Ebay or where ever as people just don't want another's rubbish. They might sell for 99p or less?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
A few thoughts, collection only items are harder to sell on ebay, basically the market is smaller. It does sound like (unless they are particularly special) these are things that are unlikely to fetch high prices. You might be better putting them on the local supermarket 'pin board' if you want money for them. If you just want rid of them then freecycle, or ebay @99p should work although don't expect the ebay bid to be high.

Paying on collection, I've bought a few cars through ebay, every time I've paid cash on collection, even when the seller has really wanted to go paypal. With something like a car I prefer to see it before I hand over the cash although I've still bought at least one junker that way. The problem is that just the same as people running paypal scams, people may well turn up and haggle price with you (it's far from unheard of) the best you can do there is be honest with the description and firm about the agreed price. (The junker I should have walked away from as it suddenly grew a load of 'problems that have just been fixed and aren't problems any more' that hadn't been mentioned in the ad, but it had been a long journey and I hadn't learnt that 'listen to the little voice at the back of your head' lesson yet...)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
(The junker I should have walked away from as it suddenly grew a load of 'problems that have just been fixed and aren't problems any more' that hadn't been mentioned in the ad, but it had been a long journey and I hadn't learnt that 'listen to the little voice at the back of your head' lesson yet...)

+1 to that. I bought a Talbot Samba cabriolet and should have run away. This one:

4p4w10n.jpg

I frequently sell with collection. However, you usually get a lower selling price as buyers are local only. Never had an issue but almost always receive cash on collection.

I also collect as a buyer quite frequently; and am doing so today, paying cash on collection.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Without wishing to hex anyone or anything....you do hear about people paying by paypal then claiming the money back and leaving the seller high & dry, and I have no doubt it happens, but I think it's much less common than you might assume from the noise. In my experience, which is pretty damned extensive - 1500+ transactions over 13-14 years - the overwhelming majority of ebayers are straight as a die. I'd ask for cash on collection if only to avoid pp fees, but I wouldn't insist on it. (By the same token, when I'm picking up a purchase, I always pay by pp, because it offers buyers protection at zero cost to them.)

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
You make it sound as if everyone is out to get us?

Equally, what if the money is fake? What if they put in a dispute that they turned up paid the cash over and you slammed the door. I'm starting to think there is no security even with cash and that I'll just play it by ear....

Never let anyone pay by PayPal for goods they are picking up, it doesn't matter if you have a photo of the person holding the goods on their way out the door PayPal will not accept it as proof of delivery, they will only accept an online POD from a reputable courier and even then they sometimes wont honor it.

I had a customer who used them for accepting payment on their website. they delivered a load of wood flooring to their clients site and they claimed they hadn't received it and despite the fact he had a POD they still refunded the customer. Ebay is a great site to buy from but not great if you are a seller, if a customer complains they will usually just give them their money back, and now they can even let the customer keep the goods as well in some instances.

I used to be a powerseller on ebay and have also run an online sales website for over 12 years and yes you are correct they are out to get your money and if they can wriggle out of giving it to you then they will do that. A lot of customers just deny ever receiving the goods. I stopped selling on ebay for that very reason I was having to send everything Recorded Delivery and I just couldn't be competitive doing that but as a small seller I couldn't take the losses of send stuff unsigned for.

It will not happen with abed. Maybe people buying iPhones. You'll be fine. Cash or PayPal will be fine, cash if you're the worrying type.

Brains

Legendary Member
I bought a big frame tent from Lancashire and sold an oven to Cornwall on e-bay.
In both cases the goods were collected at a fixed date/time and shiped down a few days later to arrive at a specific date/time by a company I'm trying to remember the name of. But i'm sure i found out teir details from E-Bay itself

Top Bottom