Collecting instead of delivery on Ebay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Parents have a couple of BIG things they'd suggested to me that they might like to get rid of. One is a single bed, the other a "sit on top" boat for gentle paddling. Both are obviously too big to post/courier via sites like Ebay and Gumtree.

If I were to list these for them (or if Dad does it instead - preferable) what's the common situation others use? Do you get the buyer to pay via paypal first? When they collect whats the general "done thing"? Invite them in and let them check it all over? Or will they expect the items to be packaged in some way ready for transit? Eg wrap the bed in plastic in case it rains.

Sorry if this seems a little daft, never used the web for stuff like this until recently :tongue:

List it as collection only. In description tell people collection only and furst part of postcode, eg sw1 so people know where you are.

Then they either pay paypsl in advance or pay on collection.

You then give the winner fulm address and contact mobile. I usually give a couple of evenings for collection but don't allow them to send couriers where I have to wait in all day b

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
List it as collection only. In description tell people collection only and furst part of postcode, eg sw1 so people know where you are.

Then they either pay paypsl in advance or pay on collection.

You then give the winner fulm address and contact mobile. I usually give a couple of evenings for collection but don't allow them to send couriers where I have to wait in all day b
Ahh cool! Thanks for that!

I was a bit worried about payment on collection... in case they turned up wit 10% of the money LOL

Tell them they need to bring people to carry out. Not packaged. Just presentable. It's usually them getting the bargain.

DONT let anyone pay by paypal then collect in person , if they want to collect in person then insist on cash on collection,
its a well known scam for people to pay by paypal and collect in person, then raise a query with paypal saying they never recieved the item , paypal then refunds them , they then have your item and their own payment refunded , BEWARE of paypal and cash on collection, im not sayin everyone does it , but it has been known

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
DONT let anyone pay by paypal then collect in person , if they want to collect in person then insist on cash on collection,
its a well known scam for people to pay by paypal and collect in person, then raise a query with paypal saying they never recieved the item , paypal then refunds them , they then have your item and their own payment refunded , BEWARE of paypal and cash on collection, im not sayin everyone does it , but it has been known

I've had another family member suggest paypal is more secure? Should I get them to sign something to show they have received the goods?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've had another family member suggest paypal is more secure? Should I get them to sign something to show they have received the goods?

Cash is more secure and you won't have PayPal taking it's cut from the sale price in addition to Ebay selling fees. The signature is useless, I can supply the signature of anyone that you care to name but it doesn't mean I am the person that the signature represents.

400bhp

Guru

See above, ask them to bring i-d and take a copy. Plus, provide an invoice for receipt of goods, duly signed if you are so inclined. As @0-markymark-0 has done, I have sold lots of stuff via Paypal in advance.

Crankarm

Guru
like i said ....im not sayin everyone does it , but it has been known:thumbsup:

I have bought stuff, a car, on Ebay paying before collection by Paypal then collecting it in person. Seller wanted me to pay cash but I declined. I never started a dispute for a refund as the car was exactly as what was described very low mileage in amazing condition and at a bargain price when the auction ended.

But for the lower value stuff you are selling I would state cash on collection ONLY as Ebay and Paypal fees are extortionate plus you don't want a buyer starting a dispute once they have got your parents' items and trying to claim a refund for non delivery etc as has been suggested above. You could do a simple receipt noting Ebay sale and auction number stating "Sold as seen. No warranty implied or given." Make sure they bring a copy of the messages Ebay sends you when you are a winner. Also they will only get your address when they go through to the payment stages which iirc Ebay doesn't include a Cash on Collection option, but only Paypal - which you don't want them to use. Well it was this a few weeks ago when I tried to pay for the car - there was no cash on collection option which might have been down to the seller or Ebay forcing sellers to use Paypal thus collecting more fees.

I did sell a Vaude tent (new) a few years back. Buyer paid with Paypal and I sent it off by Parcel Force 48 fully insured. Never heard a squeak out of the guy, not even a thank you, neither was any feedback left which p1$$ed me off no end as I dispatched it pretty quickly. The only way I knew he had got it was that it had been signed for. And it was a brand new tent, totally unused, so he got a bargain deal. You just have to realise there are more to$$ers in the world than you realise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom