Collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Über Member
I was heading out of Kingston this morning towards Richmond at 06:30, on the two way dedicated cycle lane. The only other person around was a cyclist with no lights and no helmet coming in the opposite direction on the road. As we approach each other he wobbled across the road bumped over the curb separating the road from the cycle track and crashed into me. I now have a cut hand and a bent brake lever. Obviously I was not at all happy, but he appeared not to speak English and cycled off. I was left confused, how could someone do this accidentally?

alicat

Legendary Member
I once fell off my bike dropping off a kerb.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
So he had no lights, yet you saw him? No issue there then.
No helmet either? Does a helmet make for a better cyclist?
As for crashing into you, there are numpties aplenty and these things happen. I did the opposite to alicat and fell off the bike going up a kerb a couple times in the past.

I was heading out of Kingston this morning towards Richmond at 06:30, on the two way dedicated cycle lane. The only other person around was a cyclist with no lights and no helmet coming in the opposite direction on the road. As we approach each other he wobbled across the road bumped over the curb separating the road from the cycle track and crashed into me. I now have a cut hand and a bent brake lever. Obviously I was not at all happy, but he appeared not to speak English and cycled off. I was left confused, how could someone do this accidentally?

No light cyclo ninjas are probably up to no good, at that time of the day IMO. Probably a drug dealer. They put their stash somewhere on the bike, if they get pulled, and the stash is found, they just say they nicked the bike ( lesser of 2 evils ). They don’t have lights, because they don’t want to draw attention to themselves.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Obviously I was not at all happy, but he appeared not to speak English and cycled off. I was left confused, how could someone do this accidentally?
I don't think they can. Not speaking English and cycling off sound deliberate. Should have taken a picture of the hit-and-run scoundrel.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
So he had no lights, yet you saw him? No issue there then.
No helmet either? Does a helmet make for a better cyclist?
As for crashing into you, there are numpties aplenty and these things happen. I did the opposite to alicat and fell off the bike going up a kerb a couple times in the past.

I am nearly 60 and have been cycling since I was a child - I can say with absolute certainty that these things do not normally happen. Cycling, driving, even walking would be impossible if they did.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Normally? Maybe not, but as you've discovered, they do indeed happen.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am nearly 60 and have been cycling since I was a child - I can say with absolute certainty that these things do not normally happen. Cycling, driving, even walking would be impossible if they did.
Maybe not normal but not rare either. You've done well to avoid them that long. I've seen someone ride directly forwards on the right=wrong edge of a road into an oncoming cyclist with full sight of them, looking right at them (both hit the ground - no damage, blessedly) and I've had at least two motorists drive straight at me, looking straight through me. Almost nothing would surprise me.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Did they ‘accidentally’ bump into you as you extricated yourself from the crash? Have you checked you’ve still got your wallet?

mustang1

Guru
Sucks when that happens ESP if not your fault. Just live and learn .Easy for me to say but just move on. Get the brakes fixed, the hand will eventually heal .

Top Bottom