Collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Goes to character m’lord.

Yes, it probably shows he has reached a reasonable conclusion based on the available evidence. Now he just needs to sort out his bike control and he'll be fine.

Reactions: mjr

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cyclepaths have the highest number of collisions per mile than any other type of route. They're not usually fatal.but they hurt. People don't use lights, don't ride on any particular side and often ride with their head up their backside as if nothing else could possibly be on the path.

ride with their head up their backside as if nothing else could possibly be on the path.
Or no handy while staring at a mobile phone. For real. One nearly rode head on into my son a while back. He was also wearing headphones so he didn't hear the many shouts both from me and his mates. He looked up just in time. And in case anyone is wondering, no there was no way we could change course. We were on a narrow bike path next to a busy road on a bridge.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cyclepaths have the highest number of collisions per mile than any other type of route. They're not usually fatal.but they hurt. People don't use lights, don't ride on any particular side and often ride with their head up their backside as if nothing else could possibly be on the path.
The collisions per mile thing is highly debatable and people do all of the rest on other roads too.

snorri

Legendary Member
He could have simply fallen asleep and lost control on his way home from a party or even a hard night shift.
The crash would have wakened him sufficiently to let him carry on his way.

Drago

Legendary Member
What's the relevance of the other rider having no helmet?

You don't feel it relevant to directly reference their gender, or to mention their ethnicity, yet you make a point of describing that they had no helmet - seeing as you went to such pains to mention it, there must be a reason for doing so.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’ve been hearing a lot about blinkies annoying the bejesus out of oncoming cyclists on various social media feeds. I have smashing dynamo lights on two of my bikes so in the dark I don’t use blinkies up front.

But my new spare Moon lights for my Audax bike have a blinking mode. I decided to try them out. On yesterday’s 200 ride, about 3 hours of it was in pure, countryside darkness. I didn’t switch them on while on the Bristol-Bath Railway Path or 2 Tunnels. But the last 15km was on a fast, dark road. Having a blinkie made me ‘feel’ more visible to oncoming vehicles, not that I was in danger of a head on and there were no silly overtaking manoeuvres so I thought all was good and my experiment was conclusive (unnecessary)....

...Then I went to bed. I switched the light off and closed my eyes. There was still a ‘blinking’ flash going on! And it didn’t stop. For some weird reason the sequence and frequency of the flash had ‘etched’ itself into my memory/brain/eyes/whatever. (Convincingly unnecessary)

I can vouch for blinkies on the front of the bike in urban and city environments in the dark, but I really don’t think they have any other purpose. On shared paths or canals, they just irritate peds and other cyclists and can be dangerous (I have heard) On quiet roads, I think that a normal, steady beam is more than sufficient.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
What's the relevance of the other rider having no helmet?

You don't feel it relevant to directly reference their gender, or to mention their ethnicity, yet you make a point of describing that they had no helmet - seeing as you went to such pains to mention it, there must be a reason for doing so.

When I see a cyclist it's one of the the first thing I notice. Why are you so sensitive about it? I would have thought if I had mentioned the person's ethnicity it would have been far more controversial.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am so dreadfully sorry. You must forgive me. I did not realise that we had to agree sycophanitcally with everything you say and were not allowed to ask relevant questions in a politely worded manner.

Who says I am sensitive? It was you, not I, that mentioned his helmet, and in the context of the tale you were relaying I could not understand the significance of the comment.

Was it pertinent to the situation, or not? I could only presume that it was seeing as you had gone to the effort of mentioning it, but then could not see how, hence me asking for clarification. Clarification, by the way, which you have still failed to supply - I often notice when people have a moustache, acne or big ears, but tend not to comment upon it unless it is actually relevant in some manner.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom