Colloquialisms & Slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Unless I'm misremembering (which is entirely possible) 'easy-peasy' was commonplace in my childhood, but 'lemon-squeezy' was added at some point since - when exactly I really don't know. I like it tho!
Agreed, SP, Although I heard easy-peasy in NYC growing up, my wife (a few years younger than me) heard the whole "easy-peasy lemon-squeezy" growing up in Pittsburgh. I was born in '56, Alex, so couldn't really say when it's been around from. Fun to say though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As fit as a butcher’s dog.

Means a person is extremely fit and healthy even in a challenging situation. Linking back to a butcher‘s dog living off scraps.

I thought the point was the butcher's dog would be extremely well fed; granted on scraps but lots of 'em and the dog isn't fussy.

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Wigan, Hindley, Leigh....
If you ever visit you will be completely lost! People going round with a Monk on because they ran out of Babbies Yed and Pea wet!
I kid you not!
https://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/dialect1.php
LOL, I would be lost, Carpiste, I don't imagine the best electronic translator could make heads or tails out of that, nor can I! Note: On heads or tails... the plural form, can’t make heads or tails of, is the American English form.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Agreed, SP, Although I heard easy-peasy in NYC growing up, my wife (a few years younger than me) heard the whole "easy-peasy lemon-squeezy" growing up in Pittsburgh. I was born in '56, Alex, so couldn't really say when it's been around from. Fun to say though.
I watched the film “ Layer Cake “ recently. It stars, among others Daniel Craig, who is so uncannily Bond like that I thought it was a spin off from the Bond franchise, only to be told that the film predates his Bond roles.
One of the characters in the film comes out with the expression “ easy peasy Japanesy” only to be reprimanded by one of the “ baddies “ who tells him that he’s being racist. The character then points out that he’s Japanese so it can’t be racist before reluctantly agreeing to use “ lemon squeezy “ instead. 😁

I think originally it was "sticks out like a dogs bo**ocks" as in it's out standing. So anything that is out standing is the dog bo**ocks.
I've never known where this phrase came from, and I hope your version is true :laugh:

I can't help picking up on "outstanding" here, as people use it in 2 ways. I wonder, when someone writes to me:
"Your bill is outstanding!"
... do they realise how pleased I am??

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
But does Pittsburgh have Cheesy Peas?
Cheesy Peas, yes, Matticus. Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeezy-Cheesy-Peasy... But NOT mushy peas. Sadly we do not have the required marrowfat peas to make it. I never even heard of marrowfat peas. :unsure: So mushy peas sounds like mashed potatoes but made with peas. Sounds like it could be good. Do peeps over there love 'em as much as we loved mashed potatoes over here?

D

Deleted member 1258

The phase made of cheese to describe a poorly made component, whats cheese got to do with metal, and cheese isn't always soft. And saying a fastener has been done up Gorilla tight, how often do we see a Gorilla with a spanner or a screw driver in its hand?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Cheesy Peas, yes, Matticus. Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeezy-Cheesy-Peasy... But NOT mushy peas. Sadly we do not have the required marrowfat peas to make it. I never even heard of marrowfat peas. :unsure: So mushy peas sounds like mashed potatoes but made with peas. Sounds like it could be good. Do peeps over there love 'em as much as we loved mashed potatoes over here?
Yorkshire Caviar, is what my late partner used to call mushy peas.

Top Bottom