Colloquialisms & Slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
“As much use as a chocolate fireguard/teapot” is in regular use for ”useless or poor quality” and has led to a shortened version where, particularly cheap tools, are just referred to as “chocolate”

classic33

Leg End Member
Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Wigan, Hindley, Leigh....
If you ever visit you will be completely lost! People going round with a Monk on because they ran out of Babbies Yed and Pea wet!
I kid you not!
https://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/dialect1.php
Strange that, to “have a monk on“ is frequently heard round the Wakefield area, there’s also some words on that link that’s are said in Yorkshire, also West & South Yorkshire your packed lunch for work is your snap, whereas in County Durham/Tyneside it’s your bait.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Another one, He/She isn’t worth a light, originally came from the coal mines in reference to the young kids, whose job was to open and close the trapdoors that kept the ventilation working when closed, but were opened to allow the passage of the tubs out on their way to the surface, these children weren’t allowed a light as they weren’t worth having that expense spent on them
Another one is See all, hear all, say nowt, eat all, sup all, pay nowt, and if tha ever does owt for nowt, allus do it for thi sen

Last edited:
My cockney grandmother had no end of daft sayings.eg:
I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking

My grandfather liked to use Cockney Rhyming Slang which mystified the girls at the Co-op in a small Norfolk market town.

Reactions: gbb

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
French Summit refers to a col or lesser top on a mountain. If someone does not manage to get to the highest point of a peak, it’s said they visited the French summit.

The phrase dates from 1950 when a French expedition failed to climb Dhaulagiri 1 (8,167m) but soon after succeeded on the lesser peak to the west, Annapurna 1 (8091m)

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Or as we used to say in the 70s in Nottingham, an old fella was an 'old boy'. A young fella was a 'young old boy' :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Strange that, to “have a monk on“ is frequently heard round the Wakefield area, there’s also some words on that link that’s are said in Yorkshire, also West & South Yorkshire your packed lunch for work is your snap, whereas in County Durham/Tyneside it’s your bait.
Also heard in Ireland when I was younger. From relatives, and their neighbours, that had nether left ireland.

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I watched the film “ Layer Cake “ recently. It stars, among others Daniel Craig, who is so uncannily Bond like that I thought it was a spin off from the Bond franchise, only to be told that the film predates his Bond roles.
One of the characters in the film comes out with the expression “ easy peasy Japanesy” only to be reprimanded by one of the “ baddies “ who tells him that he’s being racist. The character then points out that he’s Japanese so it can’t be racist before reluctantly agreeing to use “ lemon squeezy “ instead. 😁
So a 2004 British movie brought back easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Good find, Tenkaykev. :okay: But can we make it popular again in 2021/2022?

Top Bottom