Colloquialisms & Slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dolorous Edd

As much use as a hand brake on a canoe.
a trapdoor on a submarine.
a nun in a brothel.

I've always liked "neither use nor ornament".

And I am deeply grateful that I am no longer at much risk of a dawn raid from the CC puritan thought police for saying something like that.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Dead As A Doornail

“This expression can be traced back to 1350, but could be even older. In the days before screws were commonly used in carpentry, nails secured one piece of wood to another. Unlike screws however, nails could often loosen over a period of time. To prevent this, it became common practice, particularly on large medieval doors, that when a nail was hammered through the wood it would be flattened or clinched on the inside. The process of flattening the nail would mean that the nail would be ‘dead’ as it couldn’t be used again.”

When you go in a pub with no atmosphere it’s said to be dead as a door nail.

Rarely heard outside of Norwch market these days:
Hold yew hard boi.
Wait a moment my good fellow

Thas a rum 'n
How terribly, terribly queer

What a load of ole squit
Quite frankly, my dear, you are not making any sense.

On tha huh
You really need to calibrate your spirit level.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Arriving in New Zealand back in the early '80s, I first encountered the expression 'no worries'. Everyone says it now of course, but they didn't then.
Think I remember 'No worries' from Australian soaps. Neighbours was mid-80s.
The Swahili version 'Hakuna Matata' was definitely doing the rounds (well before The Lion King), and the Germans had a similar phrase, "kein problem" IIRC.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Sweet fanny adams

Fook all
Originally badly substandard. Fanny Adams was an eight year-old who was murdered and her body cut into pieces. Sailors started calling meat which had gone off Sweet Fanny Adams, S.F.A. later dysphemised into Sweet F*** All.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm not really good at these kind of threads. They seem to go 'whooosh' over my head, so does 'I was stood there like cheese at fourpence' count? My mum used to say it and i've heard it often said around here. I think it means stood there feeling awkward and out of place.:unsure:
Never heard that, but I love it! According to a bit of googling it comes 'from the mill towns of Lancashire, where fourpence was considered expensive for cheese hence cheese for sale at that price would not be bought.' So, say, a woman whose date failed to show up: "He left me standing there like cheese at fourpence".

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Carrying Coals To Newcastle

Thought to date from the 1600s when Newcastle upon Tyne was the major UK port through which coal (from nearby seams) was exported.

Refers to an activity of giving or transportation of goods that is considered needlessly pointless as the recipient or location already has an abundance.

Last edited:

rvw

Guru
From my Shropshire childhood:

Yer munna say 'anna cos it inna right. (You mustn't say "hanna" [for hasn't - with the h omitted as well!] because it isn't right.)

Ain't ain't no word, ain't ain't.

Top Bottom