Colnago C59 Disc

Do you think Disc brakes on a road bike are a good thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I'm quite aware that he (ab)used the brakes. But this is how riders, especially novice riders use their bikes. I doubt the issue of overheating brakes, even of overheating rim brakes (using carbon surfaces in particular) has the attention of every single person that uses them. The same will be true for disc brakes.

Again, I want disc brakes for road bikes, the sooner the better. As long as I'm confident that with proper use, they will be effective. I'm sure that will happen.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
that article is not a critique of disc brakes on road bikes. It is a critique of "Ashima’s new and ridiculously light Ai2 rotors" on a single bike. "I built a death trap bike" would be a better title.

Might as well say cartridge pad rim brakes are fatally flawed because it is possible for a determined tw@t to fit them with the pads the wrong way around and eject the pads at the first firm braking action.

Reactions: gaz

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm turning in my grave (if I was dead), discs on a C59. :wacko: Worse than sticking Shimano on an Italian superbike ! :eek:

Me thinks Ernesto has lost his ball bearings now he's turned 80.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I reckon they're the next big roadie bike trend, but what I think we need is roadie bike specific disc systems rather than small MTB systems. You wouldn't need the same size brake on the rear of a road-bike for example. Maybe smaller rotor up front too.
But the upsides are big, especially in the wet (as long as progressive) and having lighter rims.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I reckon they're the next big roadie bike trend, but what I think we need is roadie bike specific disc systems rather than small MTB systems. You wouldn't need the same size brake on the rear of a road-bike for example. Maybe smaller rotor up front too.
But the upsides are big, especially in the wet (as long as progressive) and having lighter rims.

Was my first thoughts as well but reading up on it a bit and I'm not so sure smaller rotors are a good aim. Less area to dissipate heat through and creates greater forces at the dropouts...according to what I can glean.

If this is accurate, and I lack the engineering skills to be certain, then small wouldn't be beautiful for road bikes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Was my first thoughts as well but reading up on it a bit and I'm not so sure smaller rotors are a good aim. Less area to dissipate heat through and creates greater forces at the dropouts...according to what I can glean.

If this is accurate, and I lack the engineering skills to be certain, then small wouldn't be beautiful for road bikes.

That may be correct, I'm no engineer either, but maybe larger diameter with smaller piston assemblies oor something that is designed for the particular needs of road bikes rather than the different application of MTBs. Also they could be more aero and pretty too. I agree that they do seem to put much more energy through the fork dropouts.

Top Bottom