Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. I got caught in the wet tonight. I rinsed my bike when I got home but there is a gritty sound coming from the disc brakes - I presume some dirt has got in there? What's the best way to clean them? Warm water with Muc off?

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Even cold water will do it.

Slick

Guru
9ne mechanic reckoned I glazed my brakes on my weekend bike, as I hardly used them. Yet the commuter travelled all winter picking up all sorts of muck and never even squeaked once.

Tom B

Guru
Don't worry about it, just use them, they'll clean themselves up. Think how much mud and grit MTB brakes see?

1687292545481.png

We have some clunker bikes at work that are used by all and sundry in all weather and conditions, they get washed about twice a year. My commuter sees little better.

If you must wash off with warm water, or buy some brake cleaner from the local motor factors (far cheaper than bike stuff) just dont get it in the wheel bearings. - Its handy to have if you ever get oil or lube overspray onto the disks and for cleaning up the calipers when you do a pad change.

9ne mechanic reckoned I glazed my brakes on my weekend bike, as I hardly used them. Yet the commuter travelled all winter picking up all sorts of muck and never even squeaked once.

Never really been troubled with that as it is pretty hilly around here. But did once, three weeks camping by the sea (Quibron) sorted it out where cleaning and faffing didn't, I reckon the salt and or sand abraded deglazed the pads.

Last edited:

How do you not use the brakes on a bike ?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Take the pads off, a quick rub on some fine sandpaper, clean with brake cleaner along with the discs then put back on, simples. Instead of brake cleaner, I bought a litre of alcohol from a well known site (Ebay gum) which works just as well if not better for £9.99. Had it over a year and it's still nearly full.

Top Bottom