Colt on my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

After a rather protracted purchasing process (during which I first bought a Swallow, then realised how thin the leather was, then considered and rejected a B17N) I have bought myself a lovely black Brooks Colt for my black and white S6L Brompton. I have heard that they are a literal pain in the ar$e to break in but that because the leather is nice and thick they will last a fair while. I also liked the old school 80's shape of it.

So...wish me luck!

Just remember, the Dubbin and Neat's Foot oil and other snake oil preparations should be applied liberally to your arse, not the saddle.

mitchibob

Über Member
So tempted to get a colt. Looking forward to hearing about how well you managed to break it in. Years ago, I remember people talk of a hot kettle and a rolling pin to beat them about a bit. But could be a saddle for life, or a pain in the proverbials. I hope it's the former for you!

OP
OP
M

Melvil

So tempted to get a colt. Looking forward to hearing about how well you managed to break it in. Years ago, I remember people talk of a hot kettle and a rolling pin to beat them about a bit.

Took it for a test ride today. It's really, really, really hard. Did i mention it was hard? I havent proofided it yet so that should soften it a little. Only another 297 miles to go before it should be vaguely comfortable!

On another note it does look great on the Brompton. I will post a pic

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Opinions vary on how long it will take to break in a brooks saddle. The leather on all brooks saddles is quite thick. Some say you have to travel 1000 miles before they are broken in. Others say they are comfortable right from the get go. So it will take you anywhere between 1 mile and 1000 miles.my

My B67s is more comfy than the standard saddle that came with my bike, but i havn't broken it in yet. And use proofide on it. :okay:. Good luck. I hope you like your new saddle

OP
OP
M

Melvil

20170408_211613.jpg
20170408_211540.jpg

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Opinions vary on how long it will take to break in a brooks saddle. The leather on all brooks saddles is quite thick. Some say you have to travel 1000 miles before they are broken in. Others say they are comfortable right from the get go. So it will take you anywhere between 1 mile and 1000 miles.my

My B67s is more comfy than the standard saddle that came with my bike, but i havn't broken it in yet. And use proofide on it. :okay:. Good luck. I hope you like your new saddle

Thank you! It is quite uncomfortable at the moment but I will do some few hundred miles on it and if it is still bad i will sell it and maybe get a B17.

mitchibob

Über Member
Lovely looking piece of leather!

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Update (only 289 miles to go before advised breaking-in) - after 2 applications of proofide and 11 miles of city commuting it is slightly less ball-crushing bottom demolishingly hard, i.e I got home without pain (though sitting in my office chair writing this I can definitely feel sore sit bones).

I am currently denying the temptation of stopping at Cycle Republic (halfway along my commute home) and just giving in and getting a B17. Only 289 miles to go, only 289...

mitchibob

Über Member
Update (only 289 miles to go before advised breaking-in) - after 2 applications of proofide and 11 miles of city commuting it is slightly less ball-crushing bottom demolishingly hard, i.e I got home without pain (though sitting in my office chair writing this I can definitely feel sore sit bones).

I am currently denying the temptation of stopping at Cycle Republic (halfway along my commute home) and just giving in and getting a B17. Only 289 miles to go, only 289...

keep at it, iron balls!

Bill

Melvil, Reading your posts I wonder why you are treating your purchase of a Brompton as a 'fashion' purchase? It is after all just a cycle...I also pity your poor balls sitting on that gods awful Brookes saddle....groan....

Top Bottom