Come on own up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Now the kids have grown up it's just another day. Boxing day we see the grandchildren which is nice, We still have a few drinks over the christmas period, but i suppose that is no different to any other time. It's nice for the kids.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use to enjoy it use to go to my sisters, then my daughter (who I'd only recently met long story) stabbed back (not literally) the following year didn't feel I wanted to go anywhere so I stayed on my own, didn't even go to church as I had a disagreement with the Priest, if fact the whole of the catholic organisation and haven't been back since.
The first year on my own I didn't even have the so called “Christmas dinner” it seemed a bit pointless so I just had a boiled egg and toast, it filled me up and was quite satisfied.
This year my sister asked me would I like to come over, I declined the offer as I now don't want to be part of something I don't believe in, OK I can celebrate winter “Yule Time”, but I don't feel I want to celebrate anything maybe I'm just a miserable old git, well so be it.
Ps I still buy presents for the family and send cards but that's the only thing I do for Christmas now

MikeG

Guru
Now that the kids are established overseas, I really look forward to christmas as one of those times when we all get together again. I don't give a fig for the formalities, and the tedious in laws are a chore which just need suffering........but I get my girlies back for a week or two and I'm a happy chap. The other things I like are the ad hoc stuff, such as neighbours dropping by for a mince pie and cuppa, or a long walk with with the dogs. The shopping, the stuff, the decorations.........loath it.

After the girls coming home, there is 2-month-matured christmas cake, gorgeous christmas pudding, mince pies by the barrow-load, and roast potatoes to look forward to...........that's christmas for me.

MikeG

Guru
..........the only possible reason for loving Christmas is as a celebration of the birth of that religion......

I'm an atheist, and don't take any notice of the religious aspects of any of our festivals.....but this is just factually incorrect. There are lots of reasons one can love christmas without having any religious connotations whatever. I've listed 2 or 3 above. Christmas is a pagan festival subverted for propaganda purposes. Would you like it more or less if you treated it as such?

The religion didn't actually start until well into the 1st century; certainly not before 30CE. ;)

I used to know that sort of thing when I was brainwashed into being a Christian as a kid.

I've watched Ben Hur, and The Robe, so I know what really happened!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I used to know that sort of thing when I was brainwashed into being a Christian as a kid.
Fortunately, I never had that experience. That's one thing I admired my parents for.
I was never Christened, so can honestly say that I have no affiliation.

simonali

Guru
Happy%20Everything.jpg

I'm an atheist, and don't take any notice of the religious aspects of any of our festivals.....but this is just factually incorrect. There are lots of reasons one can love christmas without having any religious connotations whatever. I've listed 2 or 3 above. Christmas is a pagan festival subverted for propaganda purposes. Would you like it more or less if you treated it as such?

About as much!

As a retired man I get all your above plus points all year round. Except the daughters living overseas and coming home, which, if they did, would definitely make Christmas more enjoyable.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Liked it as a kid, loathed it some years later, and many years later I like it again .The only things I really dislike are Christmas carols and the film re-runs. It used to be Home Alone, I think these days it's that lord of the rings and Harry potter .

That reminds me the other days I was somewhere and someone came to me asking for a donation so I can be entered into some Harry potter (or was it lord of the rings?) competition. I asked if this was the one that lady author who got rejected 9 times and then made it big .They said yes and I said to the hell with that, she should have remained rejected, that stuff is garbage.

alicat

Legendary Member
I don't like it. When I was growing up, my dad was off taking old folks to a day centre in the morning then various waifs and strays whom we didn't know came for dinner and tea. We had to be on our best behaviour and they didn't even bring us a present. I so longed for a Christmas with just the family. Then my sister married a very unpleasant man who didn't speak to me so I started doing my own thing.

This year I am going to stay at my dad's then he, my brother and I will be going out for a meal.

Top Bottom