comfort food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Most of what I've cooked this week really, which included:
A really thick beetroot soup with soured cream and dill, and some toasted rye bread...
Fresh local mussels cooked in white wine, garlic and parsley...
Miso soup with wakame and fresh homemade tofu...
Leek, mushroom and walnut pie with gravy...
Roast parsnips...
Scones with clotted cream and blackcurrant jam...
Or just a russet apple with some stilton cheese

Not all at the same time obviously, but it is that time of year...

KitsuneAndy

Giant Marshmallows are quite comfy....

Sorry :sad:

gpx001

Über Member
Got to be spotted dick with cream for me - and I am still talking about comfort food, not a recent trip to the docs ;-)
Or a nice apple crumble or pie

Arch

Married to Night Train
Spag bol, if I can be bothered to cook it - with fresh mince if I have it in, with corned beef if that's all I've got. Almost anything with pasta in it if I'm looking for a quick fix - carbonara is easy. Quickest of all is the supercheap noodles from Sainsbuys, served in a 'sauce' of thickly made up chicken cup-a-soup.

And cheese, a big piece of red leicester preferably, to nibble with a cup of tea. If I'm really bad, it would be alternated with nibbling at a bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk.

domtyler

Über Member
Probably a huge Roast dinner, Beef or Lamb, Roast Pots, Roast Parsnips, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Gravy. Apple and blackberry Crumble and custard for pudding.

barq

I've been eating lots of comfort food the last few days as I've caught an evil cold that won't go away.

Yesterday I made mushroom risotto. Spent the afternoon making a good vegetable stock. Then soaked some dried ceps, drained off and filtered the mushroom juice into the stock. Then sautéed shallots, garlic and chestnut mushrooms in olive oil and butter. Part way through cooking I add a bit of wine - lots of flavours are soluble in alcohol so it helps draw them out. After a while I added the rice, fried that off for a minute or so and started adding the stock slowly. When done I grated some parmesan and stirred it in.

It is really comforting because the starch from the rice makes the dish nice and creamy. I'm not sure it is terribly healthy, but you don't need much because it is so filling.

Top Bottom