Comments on LEJOG 2020 draft route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm planning a 2020 LEJOG with @I like Skol and a few others. As I've floated the idea, it falls to me to do the bulk of the planning including the route.

We are all regular cyclists and, given where we live, quite used to hard days in the saddle. However, we want this to be an adventure and not too fatiguing so we have decided to do it in 11 days. It's really 10.5 days as day 5 is a short one where we call home in Glossop to see family and replenish kit. It will be B&B/cheap hotels all the way

Appreciate any comments on the outline route:

Day 1
Lands End to Camelford via Hayle, Padstow
Day 2
Camelford to Wellington (got relatives nearby so should call in to see them)
Day 3
Wellington to Gloucester via Weston Super Mare (keeping West of Bristol)
Day 4
Gloucester to Crewe
Day 5 (half day)
Crewe to Glossop
Day 6
Glossop to Tebay via Burnley, Ingleton, Casterton
Day 7
Tebay to Tushielaw (would like to do a few more miles but accommodation tricky after Langholm via Eskdalemuir)
Day 8
Tushielaw to Perth via Edinburgh
Day 9
Perth to Boat of Garten (decided to risk the A9 cyclepath)
Day 10
Boat of Garten to Golspie
Day 11
Glospie to JoG via Wick (so basically the A9)

Day 11 is a full day cycling so we will either stay near JoG that evening or may be able to arrange a van home

All in, it's about 940 miles and 49,000ft of climbing (so pretty easy - even Cornwall/Devon isn't as hilly as our normal rides). Shortest day is about 80 miles (Cornwall/Devon, the hilly days) and the longest is about 105 miles (day 3, flat)

Happy to share draft routefiles if they're of interest

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As I've floated the idea, it falls to me to do the bulk of the planning including the route,accommodation, transport, meals and bike security.
FTFY :tongue:

Also, as you are a finance bod, can you procure the funds as well?

In seriousness. I guess until we know dates there is no point looking at accommodation and even if we did, this far in advance they may not be in business or could have changed hands by then.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I already mentioned this in private conversation, but I wonder how much, if any, training we will need to do for this? My feeling is if we have our current fitness levels then no training will be necessary, but this could just be foolish over-confidence?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Are there hot spots on the route where accommodation gets fully booked months in advance?

That appears to happen on bits of the various coast to coast rides.

Doing close to 100 miles a day you won't have much time to arrive at a destination and scope out somewhere to stay.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
FTFY :tongue:

Also, as you are a finance bod, can you procure the funds as well?

In seriousness. I guess until we know dates there is no point looking at accommodation and even if we did, this far in advance they may not be in business or could have changed hands by then.

The draft routefiles generally assume us stopping in reasonable sized places with a few accommodation options. Having said that, as soon as we are fixed on dates I think we should be looking to book up the accommodation. I think it books up fast in Cornwall/Devon.

Brains

Legendary Member
FYI - Day One - Crossing the Camel

The Camel Trail goes from Padstow to Camelford
It's an old railway line and the most popular cycle trail in the UK (apparently).
Its flat until the last bit, which is a bit of a climb into Michaelstow

The other option is to use the Rock Ferry
Bikes are taken (£1 from memory)
At low tide it runs from 200m up the beach on the Padstow side

Third option is to miss out Padstow and join the Camel trail at Wadebridge
(Which has several bike shops and bike rental places in case of need)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The Rock ferry was £4 for me and the bike in late May this year. And cyclists got called to the front of the queue as they put bikes in the 'cabin' at the front.
Heck of a climb up from Rock, though, but there's a nice ice cream stop half way up!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
FYI - Day One - Crossing the Camel

The Camel Trail goes from Padstow to Camelford
It's an old railway line and the most popular cycle trail in the UK (apparently).
Its flat until the last bit, which is a bit of a climb into Michaelstow

The other option is to use the Rock Ferry
Bikes are taken (£1 from memory)
At low tide it runs from 200m up the beach on the Padstow side

Third option is to miss out Padstow and join the Camel trail at Wadebridge
(Which has several bike shops and bike rental places in case of need)
We are planning to use the Rock Ferry and then tootle around the lanes via to Camelford. I've been to Padstow a few times so I know the alternative embarkation point at low tide

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The monastery at Eskdalemuir does accomodation. I don't know whether you need to be doing a course there to book it. Be worth contacting them to see if it's a possibility. Would mean you can get a bit further than Langholm that day.

https://www.samyeling.org/visiting/guest-information/

I was only looking at that last night. I couldn't work out whether they do "b&b" as it were, or whether you need to be on a meditative course. I suspect we will stick with Langholm as there is literally no more accommodation after that for about 25 miles (assuming the monastery doesn't work for us)

We were planning on the B709 out of Langholm eventually to Peebles. The alternative is the B6357/B6399(?) via Hawick and miss out Langholm all together. Which is the better option?

Brains

Legendary Member
The Rock ferry was £4 for me and the bike in late May this year. And cyclists got called to the front of the queue as they put bikes in the 'cabin' at the front.
Heck of a climb up from Rock, though, but there's a nice ice cream stop half way up!

^_^
Hence my suggestion to use the Camel cycle Trail.
Flat all the way
One hill from the end of the trail to Michaelstow and then a one dip to Camelford
It may be a bit further but its a lot easier and probably faster

http://www.padstowcyclehire.com/camel-trail/

Depending on your route between Langholm and Dunfermline, Mosspaul Inn between Langholm and Hawick may be an option for accommodation.
Just read your post above.
This could still be an option.

Top Bottom