Common sense

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
How deeply uncool.

I've been working late a lot recently and the moon has been full and bright for my ride home. I've been turning my front light off for the ride along the seafront to enjoy it. There are no streetlights. I can see everything much better than when I'm coming home at a busy commuting time with oncoming cyclists' and runners way-too-bright headlights in my face. Lighting levels need to come down.
Yeah let’s just get everybody to turn their lights off, brilliant idea.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yeah let’s just get everybody to turn their lights off, brilliant idea.
Actually, it is pretty good - thanks. Neither pedestrians nor cyclists can win a lighting arms race with motor vehicles.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Actually, it is pretty good - thanks. Neither pedestrians nor cyclists can win a lighting arms race with motor vehicles.
My observation bimbling around London would be that some cyclists already have - but it's not doing anyone any favours. Least of all the cyclists who are dazzling the drivers they're sharing the road with.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
An interesting aside...
My local club now enforces both front and rear lights must be fitted and working to be allowed to compete in the clubs TT events (these events are not held in darkness) no one seems to have a problem with this.
Bright clothing/sninsuits are recommended but not yet mandatory, although dark attire is very much frowned apon.
I didn't think clubs were allowed to introduce extra equipment requirements to CTT accredited time trials. Or are these unofficial ones run under some more clueless insurance?

If it's anything like TTs around here, most are held on some of the dodgiest roads around where you're unlikely to see another cyclist, but many of the cyclists will be moving fairly fast and I suspect most of the reason for the fairly low injury rate is the eye-catching temporary "cycle event" warning signs posted at entrances to the TT route!

swansonj

Guru
Neither, for that matter, does it benefit motorists in many circumstances.... On a busy road, all you can see is the glare of the lights, with little chance of picking out any detail behind them. The lighting arms race is a retrograde trend dressed up as progress. A bit like plastic packaging, on which, all of a sudden, majority opinion has switched - so there's hope for our roads yet^_^.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I didn't think clubs were allowed to introduce extra equipment requirements to CTT accredited time trials. Or are these unofficial ones run under some more clueless insurance?

If it's anything like TTs around here, most are held on some of the dodgiest roads around where you're unlikely to see another cyclist, but many of the cyclists will be moving fairly fast and I suspect most of the reason for the fairly low injury rate is the eye-catching temporary "cycle event" warning signs posted at entrances to the TT route!
Would they be the bright yellow signs?
Yeah nobody even sees those.

mjr

Would they be the bright yellow signs?
Yeah nobody even sees those.
Ones I've seen have been the usual red triangle with a black bicycle on white inside it. Sort of pop up metal frame grey rectangle holder things. If your local is using some sort of yellow things, maybe you could suggest they switch to the standard warning sign.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If we got all the drivers who see themselves in that light off the roads, there wouldn't be any crashes at all.
I used to be an ADI (Approved driving instructor). I had my own driving school for 8 years. I am a member of the Institute advanced motorists. I was a police patrol driver for 6 years. I have held my LGV 1 licence for over forty years and my motorcycle licence for 35 years. I have been in one motorcycle accident, not of my making.

I think I am not overstepping the mark when I say I am a safe and experienced driver.

bianchi1

Guru
Ones I've seen have been the usual red triangle with a black bicycle on white inside it. Sort of pop up metal frame grey rectangle holder things. If your local is using some sort of yellow things, maybe you could suggest they switch to the standard warning sign.

My garage is full of these, and the yellow background is an important feature. Not just for enhanced visibility but " it emphasises that you should pay particular attention to the warning information the sign is trying to convey, it also means that the sign in its normal state didn’t do its job."

If your local is just using red signs maybe you could suggest they change to the more appropriate sign.

It's also used in lots of other signs where it has been shown the standard ones haven't done the job.

mjr

My garage is full of these, and the yellow background is an important feature. Not just for enhanced visibility but " it emphasises that you should pay particular attention to the warning information the sign is trying to convey, it also means that the sign in its normal state didn’t do its job."
Who or what are you quoting there, please?

If your local is just using red signs maybe you could suggest they change to the more appropriate sign.
No, I'm not keen to suggest they use a version with lower contrast and that conceals the distinctive warning triangle shape to boot!

Also, it looks like they need to cut the hedge from over the lights on that school sign!

Top Bottom